My husband told me that he felt nervous about speaking to Chuck Coda, but that all of that went away when he saw through Casey's eyes that he was kind and gentle to the mastiff. Chuck even bathed Casey and the mastiff was reminded of the times that Cary Bloomhall cleaned Casey up and was playful. Jeff saw everything that Casey saw and the thoughts that the mastiff had as well. Jeff was driven to school by his father and he was instructed that his mother was going to pick him up. Jeff nodded and then headed to school. He kept looking for Chuck, but he did not see him anywhere. Chuck always arrived at school with his motorcycle yet Jeff could not see the motorcycle anywhere which meant that he had not arrived. After walking around his best friend Arnold Haith told him that he wanted to ask a girl out. Jeff asked who it was and to his surprise the girl that Arnold was interested in was me. The truth of the matter was that Jeff also had feelings for me, but he had never told anyone about it. It was awkward that his best friend also had feelings for the girl that he liked and he felt conflicted if I agreed to go out with Arnold.

     During the day at school Jeff was able to see Chuck before going to another class and he mustered up the courage to give him a note. Chuck thought that it was strange for someone to give him something. The note that Jeff gave him said that he could go to the town store called Egan's Entertainment to get all The Punisher movies as well as many Frank Castle shirts. After that the note said that he knew about the mastiff named Casey and the connection to Blomhall Industries. At the end of the note Jeff left his cell phone number so Chuck could call him. Chuck was intrigued by this and after school he decided to call Jeff because no one knew that he was looking after the mastiff and they arranged for Chuck to come over to his house to discuss how they could get a hold of Marcus Proux who was the one person that could explain to them what happened at Bloomhall Industries. Jeff also told Chuck about how he knew about Casey and Chuck was convinced of what he said when he told him about the bruises that Chuck hid from everyone. Chuck and Jeff got to hang around for some time and when Jeff's parents saw that Chuck was a suitable friend for Jeff they decided that it was all right for the two of them to fraternize. Both of them did research on all the things related to Bloomhall Industries yet many things could not be found as it seemed that the government had a lot of the information that was related to that place that seemed classified.

      As Jeff got to know Chuck he saw that behind the intimidating physique that he had there was a kind soul that was just trying to live his life the best that he could. Jeff did not want to speak of the physical abuse that Chuck and his mother were going through because he figured that Chuck would tell him about it if he wanted to. Jeff had not been seeing a lot of his friend Arnold outside of school. One day when Chuck had taken Jeff to his house on his motorcycle to see Casey. Unfortunately, Jeff got to see first hand how Chuck's father Larry became a ball of rage when he discovered that Chuck had been keeping a pet without consulting him. The mastiff Casey saw that Chuck was being scolded by his father and also saw Jeff who was close by. Chuck's father Larry was going to teach his son a lesson and he got into his black pickup truck and drove straight towards Casey to run the dog over. To everyone's surprise the pickup truck was wrecked as it seemed to hit a brick wall and Chuck's father was knocked out cold. After a few seconds the mastiff walked right in front of the black pickup truck without a scratch. Chuck, Jeff and Casey were taken away from there by Chuck's mother Lorna who saw what happened and she could not believe it. Lorna told Chuck that the dog could not stay with them and Jeff decided to take the mastiff with him. Fortunately, Jeff's mom was a big dog lover and she convinced her husband to take Casey as a guard dog and Jeff's father was convinced because the big mastiff made his wife really happy. Jeff was still surprised at what he had seen back at Chuck's home and he wondered that if the mastiff was not hurt at all by a fast moving car then he wondered what kind of things could the gas that he inhaled do to him.