Chapter VI: The Matter of Invitations

Börja om från början

“It is no matter, Emilia.” Said Katherine gently, holding out her hand.

The girl passed her the letter, bowed once, and then ran off hurriedly.

The writing on the front was neat and sloped, but none that Katherine recognised. On the back was a simple red wax seal, with a very medieval-looking ‘H’ embedded unto it.

Carefully, Katherine slipped the seal, and examined the letter, which read as follows:

Miss Benson,

I was lucky enough to be able to call you a friend last Thursday, and I hope you should like to do the same for my dearest sister. She will visit Chorley soon; and I hope that, along with me you should like to be acquainted with her. I was thinking perhaps I could organise something rather quaint – I know how fond you are of Elmere Common, and so possibly a little picnic would suffice? If you should like to come, please do write back – or to Mrs Linton’s, where we will be at noon on the twenty-fourth. Should you like to join us, you need not worry yourself with preparing any of your on food; Mrs Linton seems happy enough (of course) to oblige to create our own little feast. I really do hope that I shall see you there again!

Your dearest friend,

Mr Elliot Lincoln Harlow.

“Well! The twenty-fourth is today!” exclaimed Katherine.

“What is it?” enquired Penelope.

“I have been most graciously invited to have lunch with Mr Harlow and his sister! But it will be today! Oh, Emilia! If only she had not lost the letter, I would have known about this beforehand!”

“Dear me, Mr Benson! Really you ought to employ more efficient servants.”

“May I go, father?”

“’Tis today is it? Well, I suppose you may go. Miss Braithewaite and I shall finish the invitations!”

“Oh! Thank you, father! Oh, and it is nearly noon, indeed! I shall have to get ready soon or else they shall think me terribly unreliable!”

“Don’t take Milo, will you?” said Penelope warningly.

“Why ever not?”

“You will get dirty! My dear, dear Katherine! How naïve you are! If you turn up to a lunch rendezvous with respectable ladies and gentlemen, I’m sure they’ll never invite you back if you appear looking like a rogue, and what is more, Katherine, you’d be spreading a terrible reputation of the Benson family!”

“But Penelope I am sure Mr Harlow thinks very little in regards to the matter of appearance.”

“My, my! Are you implying he himself dresses like a rogue? How disgusting!”

“I imply nothing of the sort. I merely mean to say that Mr Harlow is far too admirable to say bad words behind a friend’s back, I’m sure.”

“Well, if you are so sure… but please; it would do no harm to take the carriages!”

“Very well! If you insist, I shall.” Said Katherine reluctantly – she’d been itching for an opportunity to take Milo out all day, and this was just the one.

Katherine kept on the dress she was wearing, as not to be late, and also as it was quite appropriate for the occasion. The carriage was fast, and in the end she was hardly late at all!

After she’d left, Penelope muttered; “Well! I should think it quite inappropriate for her to go running off to some mystery friend without your knowing him! Scandalous, almost! I should hope they do not get up to mischief! Really, Henry, have you taken leave of your senses?”

“I trust that my daughter chooses her friends carefully, I assure you.” Said Henry quietly, though he was concerned; and now that it had been brought to his attention, Penelope was quite right: what if this man was only befriending his dear daughter for her money? She already seemed to speak most highly of him, and quite protectively too. He must find out more about this man, Mr Harlow. And he knew just how he might go about it.

Katherine arrived just outside the Linton’s cottage, and right before her, Mr Harlow and a fair-haired woman were leaving!

“Wait! Oh, stop!” cried Katherine as she made her way towards the pair.

Elliot heard her, and his face lit up as he saw her.

“I didn’t think you would come!” he said.

“Of course I would! And here I am!”

“Here you are.” He said softly, and took her hand and kissed it – so lightly she hardly thought she felt him do it. She rather felt a rush of pink colour her cheeks! He saw it, and smiled lightly. How he loved that rosy colour!

The fair-haired woman now turned to see who had arrived. Her eyes were modest and shy, and the few creases that lay around her eyes suggested she may have been a little older that she appeared, though her timid look of purity made her seem as old as Katherine; maybe younger.

“You must be Erica! Your brother has told me much about you!” said Katherine.

“And he has spoken very highly of you, also. I confess, I have anticipated this meeting for a while.”

“Me too. Have you ever been to Kinfordshire before?”

Erica shook her head. “No, but I must say the scenery is breath-taking.”

Katherine lit up by this remark. “I am so glad! Why, Erica,” she said, hooking her arm around hers, “I feel we shall get along very well!”

“Mutually, of course! Well, my brother will be glad to hear it. He has been worrying so about our disliking each other, haven’t you, Elliott?”

“I am afraid so.” He said with a smile.

“But you spoke in such confidence of our liking each other when we last spoke, I recall. Why such change?” said Katherine, puzzled slightly.

He looked a little lost as to how to reply, but then said, with a renewed air of enthusiasm, “Let us go and have our picnic! It is a lovely day, and we should make the most of the weather before a dreadful fog rolls in.” He and Katherine’s gaze met then, and she tried to give him a scolding look, but found his kindly face impossible not to smile at.

“A picnic it is!” she exclaimed.