Friend

“A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.” — Donna Roberts

Technoblade was a lot of things. He was intelligent, bad at socializing, a warrior, a blood god, loyal to the people who he trusted a bit of a dramatic person, and everybody knew it. It was part of his charm. His monotone voice perfect for his carefully planned speeches. His stealth was only matched by his green rival/friend… or was matched.

Now his best friend was dead and it was his fault. Maybe if he had stepped up when he had heard the news, maybe if he had followed his gut and gone to see his friend in the prison earlier, maybe if he had confronted Dream way, way earlier about his actions, right in the beginning when he saw his mental state deteriorate, maybe if he had honored the promise he made when they were kids, maybe he would still be alive. Maybe he wouldn’t feel like another hole was violently ripped into his heart when he saw the state of his old friend. Another hole right next to the place Wilbur used to occupy. The one Ghostbur slowly tries to fill.

Maybe that’s why he was out here looking for his old best friend. To find the ghost of him and try to remind himself that he wasn’t all gone. That at least part of the Dream he knew since he was 10 was still around.

Deep down he knows It won't ease the pressure in his chest. It won't make the small earing on his right ear feel any less heavy.

"Merry Christmas Techno here! I got you something!"

"An earing?"

"Yeah, I mean... You lost your old one! So I made this! Do you like it? It's made of gold because you like gold and the emerald because I love green! Now you always have a reminder of me!"

"..."

"... I love it. Thank you Dream..."

He can't stop the memories pouring in. Part of him wishing for him to go back to the much simpler times. Or just see him again.

So when he got the message from Ghostbur he had immediately left for the coordinates, his mind too distracted by all the thoughts in his head, all the voices, and all the things he wants to say. So many words…

And maybe that’s why when he saw Dream hugging the white hoodied boy - Punz was it?- he had thrown a pearl right in the middle of the group with no strategy what so ever.

”Hello”.

The reaction was instantaneous. Dream had cried out in fear violently recoiling away from him and before anybody could do anything he disappeared once again with a small pop and reappeared a little farther away next to Glatt. Punz who had still been clutching his hand yelps as reality shifts around them. It was a strange sensation. It wasn’t like he had never been teleported by Dream but it was rare enough to disorientate him.

Techno stared at them as Dreams fearful eyes were locked on him. Dream had teleported. He had teleported to get away from him and it stung. Dream never really used his Admin powers unless he felt it absolutely necessary. He teleported even less. Always said it felt too draining. Too dangerous. The chance of accidentally miscalculating and ending up in the void was ever-present.

And now here they were Dream staring at him with such intense fear and sadness in his eyes it made Techno want to cry. Gone were those bright emerald eyes that twinkled with mischief, the ones that made such strong puppy eyes when Philza denied them cookies before lunch. It made the hole in his heart bleed a little more, the voices in his head trying to comfort him, some mocking him, others calling for Dream.