1 - Hope

It had been months since the toys had been last played with. After returning back from the hospital and telling everyone the news, you went back to your position on the shelf and stayed there.

What you had experienced that fateful morning at the hospital, you just couldn't bring yourself to be happy anymore. Not even able to bear a smile on your face. That happy emotion just ceased to exist. Life was meaningless, now. It felt like a huge part of you was ripped out, and ever since then, there had been nothing that could replace it.

You watched from above on the shelf. Watched every single day, the other toys gathering together and talking. You've heard their conversations, most of them being about you. Once, a toy approached you up on the shelf, attempting to get you to talk again. But despite their efforts, it wasn't going to happen. From what you've heard, though, your (e/c) eyes turned into a dull color. The shine that was once there was no more. There was a thin layer of dust that coated your figure and the surface of the shelf. And your what was once happy smile gradually turned into a bleak frown.

As you sat there on the shelf, you began to think of the many possibilities that could happen. Maybe, sooner or later, you would all get donated. Perhaps to a family with a loving kid who'd play with you guys, just like Hazel did. Or maybe you'd get thrown away to perish at the dump. Or maybe you'd just stay in this room until the ends of time. All alone, rotting away, and forgotten.

You snapped out of your thoughts when you heard footsteps nearing from outside the door. The doorknob jingled as it twisted and the door opened. There stood Hazel's parents. Man, were they a sight for sore eyes. They examined the room, their faces turning into a slight frown.

After standing there in silence for a moment, Hazel's mother asked, "Are you sure we should do this?"

"I think it would be better if we did." Hazel's father responded in a hesitant mumble, not taking his eyes away from the room.

From your perspective, you observed Hazel's mom as she grabbed some empty boxes that were hidden behind her.

Oh no.

They entered the room and began to grab all of Hazel's possessions, gently placing them into the boxes. You watched in horror as they grabbed the toys from underneath the bed, inspected them, and then put them in the boxes.

After taking everything and storing them into the packages, the room was empty. All that remained were Hazel's bed and her nightstand. Scanning the room to make sure they didn't forget anything, you felt their eyes land on you.

They both hesitated as they looked at each other before taking you and your other pair of clothes off the shelf. Hazel's father held you in his hand while his other hand held your clothes.

His hand was warm, almost equivalent to the warmth of Hazel's embrace. Using his finger, he removed the layer of dust that coated your figure. He then gave you to Hazel's mothers. She looked at you with tears in her eyes that threatened to fall. Then, she did the unexpected.

She hugged you.

She held you against her chest tightly as she sobbed. Her husband joined the hug with a saddened expression on his face as he listened to his wife cry. You enjoyed that moment for as long as you could, until you felt the cold air return as she removed you from the hug and gently placed you down into the box.

The box flaps closed and you felt the box being lifted up into the air. You blinked a few times before jolting up from your spot as you went to one of the hand holds of the box.

Maybe we're going to the attic...

Or so you thought.

You watched as she took a route different from the one to the attic. She instead descended the stairs and out the front door.