Chapter 18: Burn

Chapter 18: Burn

Sarah's POV:

I run as fast as I can, counting seconds in my head as accurately as possible. Jared had eventually caught up to me; apparently he let his brother go. My heart is pounding hard against my chest. I try to mind-link someone, but it's not working.

I reach the house with ten seconds to go. I shift back to my human form and yell as loud as I can, "Marcus!" I try to run inside, but Jared grabs hold of me.

I yell his name again and I eventually hit Jared in the stomach, causing him to let go. I run and get about twenty feet away from the house when my ears nearly burst.

The three story house goes up in flames as I fall backwards from impact, covering my face from the flaming debris flying my way. I can't hear anything, just a ringing noise.

Jared grabs my arm and pulls me away, trying to get me away from the large fire. Tears stream down my face as Jared wrestles to get me away. I can't hear him yelling at me, but I know he is.

The fire has increased the temperature around as everyone comes running from their houses, some in tears. Everyone in the house was someone we all loved. Adrian was even starting to get on my good side.

Jared lets me sink to the ground once we're far enough away. He comes down with me and wraps his arms around me. Everyone is around us, packed together, staring at the fire. Some breaking down and some hiding their pain.

I eventually stop crying, but I feel numb. I can see everyone talking, panicking, sobbing, but I refuse to hear it. Jared is talking to me, but I just listen to my thoughts.

The sun begins to rise as everyone tries to get the fire under control. I watch as everyone looks at Jared. He was a part of the rival Pack and they know it. They're looking for someone to point the finger at.

Panic hit's like a wave when a second house goes up in flames. This Pack has no leader. It's something they need.

I hold my breath as Jared helps me up, "Everyone head South! Leave the fire, get the women and children to safety, now!" I yell.

Everyone looks at me and freeze for a minute, "Now!" I yell. This gets everyone moving. They all take off South, some leading children.

Jared looks at me, and I look away. Another house goes up, causing everyone to run. I take one more look at the Pack house before taking off.

I suddenly stop when I realize something. Marcus is smart. He's too smart.

"What are you waiting for?" Jared asks, having run in his human form. I look back, I can still see the fire in the distance.

"Marcus is too smart for this." I reply after shifting human. He gives me a sad smile and I roll my eyes. He doesn't believe me. I would try to link him again, but he blocked me. Dead or alive, he wouldn't get it. I can't feel his connection. He's smart, I know he is... 'It's your false hope.' My conscience haunts.

Another house goes up in flames. My home goes up in flames.

I look at Jared as thoughts swarm in my head. Why would John wait until we left the Pack house? Kailey obviously kept him updated. Do they have something worse planned for me? Probably. This Pack, that now belongs to me, is all I have left.

I don't know what to think about Jared. None of this would have ever happened if it weren't for him. Then again, he's all I have left. Nicole, Marcus, Mom, Dad, their gone. My family is gone.

My life is literally burning in front of me. And I can't do anything about it.

"Do me a favor and keep your distance." I growl at him. The pain in his eyes hurt, but then again, what doesn't hurt?

I shift and catch up with the Pack. I come up to the front and lead. I look back and see most of us in tears. There's only about 150 of us. Well, now there's only about 130.

I remember Marcus talking to me about how there's a large safe house in the North. It's at the top of the mountain, completely disguised and easy to miss. I stop and move to the side, looking to see if there's any higher positioned Wolves left.

There's only one, and he was the third in command.

"Adam!" I shout, catching his attention. He jogs up to me and asks, "Yes, Luna?"

"Don't call me that. I need you to lead us to the safe house." I reply.

He nods his head and takes the lead. I veer off to the right, keeping my distance from the group. People are giving me pitiful looks; something I don't need. I can feel my Cat, but she refuses to talk to me. She retreated to the very back of my mind.

I look back and see Jared is trailing behind the Pack, his head down. I look away, not being able to take the look on his face.

Around four hours later, about ten in the morning, we reach a large building that is built into the side of the mountain. There's three of them. Adam and I arranged places for everyone to stay. Everyone getting their own room because there was a small number of us.

Families got the larger rooms, singles got the smaller ones. They're basically like three large Pack houses. After everyone was assigned a room.

 I sent out a Pack mind-link,'I want all of border patrol in the front yard in ten minutes.'

John will pay for this.