"Nice chat," I end stiffly, grabbing Rose, who had stayed strangely silent during the conversation, and dragging her away. The blonde sent Bella a withering look as they passed each other, causing the brunette to shrink back in her spot.

Sitting back down at the table, Rose and I both throw a now fuming Edward an innocent smile as we continue with our previous conversation. The two of us ignored the pointed look that he sent our way during the rest of the school day.

______________________

Leaning back against the couch, I bit my lip as I moved my pawn, taking out Rose's Knight, which caused her to let out a dramatic groan and throw herself back against the soft couch.

"I hate this!"

I chuckle as she sits back up and counters my move, taking my pawn with her Rooke. As soon as I was about to take my turn, Edward made his presence known, slamming the front door shut and bounding up the stairs.

"Esme's not gonna be happy with that," I mutter, sharing a small smile with Rose as we listen to Edward's steps get louder.

"What were you thinking? Hm? Were you even thinking?" He bellowed, racing into the room to stand in front of the board. Scoffing irritably when he noticed that we weren't paying attention to him and throwing the board across the room, causing Esme to look up from the dining room table with a look of shock.

"Edward!" She scolded, making her way over to us with a cross look on her face, unimpressed with his actions.

"Well, that was rude," I remark, sitting back against the couch with my own arms crossed. "We were using that."

"What was that little stunt that you pulled with Bella? Hm?"

I scoff and roll my eyes at his outburst, "I was merely helping you with your side of the agreement... you do remember that agreement, right? That you would 'distance' yourself from Isabella-"

"Bella," he cuts in.

"Well, well, look at you! On a first-name basis are we?" I tease, unenthusiastically clapping my hands as I stand up. "I mean, first you save her from the big bad truck, then I mean, she's asking you to go to the beach with her? Wow! I really- I mean, I am impressed, Edward!"

"In case you don't remember, I didn't agree to go to the beach with her-"

I wave him off as I roll my eyes yet again. "Please, you can't tell me that if it wasn't on the dog's land, you wouldn't have gone with her."

He falls silent as he takes in a breath, not denying what I had just said.

"That right there proves my point exactly," I sigh, "you're getting too close to her."

Edward just sighs irritably and storms out of the room, his heavy footsteps bounding up the stairs. Esme watches as he leaves, wincing at the sound of his door slamming shut, the sound echoing throughout the house. "That boy," she mutters, gracefully leaving the room after him and gliding up the staircase.

After a few minutes pass, Edward comes back into the room and slowly moves to clean up the chessboard and all of its pieces, which had been scattered around the room. Setting it back up onto the table with a gunt and turning back to Esme, who watched him carefully.

"Happy now?" He grunted irritably, crossing his arms like a petulant child.

"Edward Anthony Masen Cullen, don't you take that tone with me," Esme warned, her eyes flashing with warning as she stared him down.

Edward muttered an apology before awkwardly shuffling out of the room and back towards his bedroom, making sure to shut the door quietly behind him. 

Esme rolled her eyes as she let out a sigh, moving back across the room to her spot at the dining room table, her rough sketches and fabric swatches surrounding her as she began to plan for the new house.

"Always so dramatic," I whisper loudly, leaning back, smirking as I hear Rose snickering beside me. A loud thud from above us made my smile grow further, knowing that Edward had heard what I had said. 

"Don't take it so personally Eddie-boy. You're just so easy to tease!"

"Genevieve," Esme warned, not even bothering to look up from her plans. "Don't antagonize Edward."

"Fine," I mutter under my breath, crossing my arms, "can't even have a bit of fun."

_______

-T