"Miguel. It's gonna be fine. Just... don't mention how you take karate at my rival dojo."

He nodded, visibly stressed.

"Okay. I can do that. I can do this. Okay."

Ayane reached up and kissed him, then let go of his hands.

"See you at lunch."

They went their separate ways, in more way than one.

Neither of them realized that karate was going to drive a wedge between their relationship.

. . . .

WHEN AYANE WALKED IN the cafeteria, people started staring and whispering.

She was quick to notice it, but she tried to ignore it.

However, as she sat down at her usual table, they all gave her a look.

Ayane clenched her jaw. "Okay. What the hell is going on?"

Miguel gave her a sympathetic look. He scooted his chair closer to her and leaned over, whispering in her ear.

"Someone- someone made a rumor that your parents are abusive."

Her eyes went wide and her stomach dropped.

He chewed his inner lip, frowning.

"Who do you think came up with that one?" Ayane asked, looking around at everyone staring at her. "Yasmine or Kyler?"

Eli and Demetri were dead quiet. This was a serious matter, and whoever made up this rumor had it out for Ayane.

She tapped her foot rapidly on the ground, until Miguel put his hand on her knee.

Ayane looked up at him, and stopped. "I can't get into a fight," she said, leaning forward and resting her face in her hands.

"If I get into a fight I'll be suspended a-and my parents will-"

She paused, remembering the rumor. Ayane did not finish the sentence. She wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. A person can only take so much of rumors and lies being spread about them.

Miguel noticed the look on her face, and how hard she seemed to be trying not to cry.

He was angry, now.

Kyler began to walk over to their table, with his cronies alongside him.

Ayane could not look at him; if she did, it was game over.

Instead, Miguel stood up.

"Fuck off," he warned in a low voice.

Kyler laughed shortly. "You looking for another beat down, 'Rhea? It's cute that you wanna defend your girl."

Ayane began tapping her foot again. She was shaking the whole table, but she did not dare look up.

Miguel stepped around Ayane, closer to Kyler.

"Shut the hell up, asshole," Miguel spat. His voice was shaking with anger.