Hilda was still swearing and murmuring about the different ways she could torture Rebekah by the time they arrived at the Mystic Grill, though she had calmed down a significant amount.

"Best behavior, both of you," said Klaus sternly as they entered. There weren't many people, but one pair stood out- a man and a woman seated at the bar.

"Why can't I remember anything about the attack?" asked the man.

"Your CT scans were clear," the woman answered. "Maybe you were compelled to forget."

"Wait... you think the killer's a... a vampire?"

"There are no other suspects. It's the obvious conclusion."

Klaus chose that moment to walk right up beside them. "Oh, come now," he said with a smug look. "Let's not go blaming the new family in town just because you lot have got yourselves a killer at large. Don't mind us. My brother, sister, and I are just here to let off some steam, right twins?"

"Right," answered Kol. He was staring over at the woman, a slender brunette with deep brown eyes. "What's your name, beautiful?"

The woman was obviously uncomfortable, and chose not to answer, getting up and walking away.

"Idiot," Hilda hissed over at Kol. "You creeped her out." She turned back to the man as he got out of his seat to follow the woman.

She was attracted immediately.

Tall, with an athletic build. Handsome and casual with blue eyes. He just looked intelligent, and Hilda felt herself leaning toward him.

"What's your name?" she asked more casually compared to her brother. "I feel as though I know you from somewhere."

He cast Klaus a look before gazing at her. "You should ask your brother. He kind of possessed my body back in April."

He walked off, and Hilda whipped her head back at Klaus. "Excuse me?"

Klaus chuckled, and motioned for the bartender to bring him a drink. "Yes, yes, just a small body jumping moment. Nothing to worry about. His name is Alaric Saltzman. I believe I killed his girlfriend in order to become a hybrid. He's the disheveled guardian of Elena and her brother, Jeremy."

Hilda looked displeased. "Dick," she spat, looking back to where Alaric and the woman were playing pool. "I don't suppose you know who that is? The girl he's with?"

"I have no idea, but I'll find out," said Kol as three drinks were served for them. Still looking over at the man, Hilda sat down.

"What can you tell me about him?" she prompted.

Klaus seemed more than happy to tell her. "He's a history teacher at the high school. His ex-wife is the birth mother of Elena. His late girlfriend was the girl's aunt."

"Wow, that's a lot to take in," said Hilda as she downed her drink. She patted her brothers on the back. "Stay here and be good. I'm going to talk to him."

"See if you can get that girl's name," said Kol eagerly.

"No promises," Hilda called back as she went over to the pool tables. She leaned against the railing nearest where Alaric and the woman were playing.

They had clearly noticed her, but neither paid her any attention. Tugging at the edge of her shirt, Hilda tried to think of what she could say. Alaric likely had no inclination to speak with her, but she felt intrigued, and she couldn't just stand aside quietly.

She walked forward, and caught him staring from the corner of his eye. "Do you Mikaelsons always feel the need to hover?" he asked.

"We're used to being in control," she said simply. "It's a natural instinct to want to watch and absorb details."