“Wh-...What do y-you me-?”

“You were the only one who ran back into the USJ to help him, and when everyone was going home after the attack, you went to the teacher’s lounge. He always seems to be watching you specifically in class.” Izuku’s heart was pounding in his ears. He hadn’t been careful enough, and now everyone in earshot was hearing it. “I’m not going to pry about that. Not right now, that is. But, just know, I don’t care who’s in your corner. I will beat you.”

Eijirou came up behind Todoroki, putting a hand on his shoulder. “Dude, why’re you trying to pick fights right now? We’re about to go on.”

Shoto shook off the redhead’s hand, walking away. “I don’t care. I’m not pretending to be anyone’s friend around here.”

Kyouka stood up from her seat, but stopped as Izuku put a hand on her forearm. He pulled her back down to her seat, his stare directed at the table. “Izuku…” She could see he was terrified, but he was thinking. Which meant he was about to do something, that by Izuku standards, would be crazy. 

Izuku stood up, turning to Shoto. “I-I don’t know why y-you have it out for me all of a-a sudden.” He stopped, grimacing to himself as he tried to control his nervous stutter. “A-And I know you’re stronger than me. I know y-you’re more experienced than me. Everyone i-in this room is. Everyone out there is. But...B-But I-...” Izuku took a deep breath, most of the class was looking at him now, which didn’t help his anxiety in the slightest. He could feel his heart beating faster, his breath shallow. 

But, he knew he couldn’t stop. 

He needed to say it.

 For All Might. 

For Kyouka. 

And for himself.

“...I’ve been underestimated by everyone for my entire life. A-And, honestly, I’m sick and tired of it. Everyone in this room is aiming to win, to be the strongest hero, a-and that includes me, too. Th-Think of me what you will now, because that’s going to change today. I will not fall behind. I will fight with everything I have. I don’t care who against. Whether it be you…” Izuku steeled himself with all the courage he could possibly muster, his stomach threatening to betray him in that moment and vomit bile. He turned his head towards Katsuki. “...Or anyone else I have to compete against.”

Shoto raised a brow, but nodded. “...Right.”

Katsuki didn’t say anything, he only gave a look. It wasn’t an expression Izuku could immediately recognize, and he wasn’t given the chance. Katsuki turned away silently, looking at the wall as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

Izuku sat back down, his heartbeat slowing, an oncoming panic attack narrowly avoided. “Dude…” Izuku turned to Kyouka at her words, her eyes wide. “Wh-...What was that?”

“I…”

“Midoriya!” Izuku jumped in his seat as his shoulders were grabbed by Ochako, who he didn’t even realize was in the room. “That was amazing! I’ve never heard you talk that much! And when you finally did, it was such a cool speech!”

Tenya came up behind Ochako, an impressed smile on his face. “I must also admit that rebuttal against Todoroki’s declaration of war was something else. Well done, Midoriya.”

“Th-Thanks guys. Excuse me.” Izuku stood up from his chair, heading for the door.

Kyouka looked at him curiously, “Where are you going?”