"Too bad." Luna had done her best to sound angry, but the crack in her voice betrayed her, giving way to her exhaustion. She moved closer to Madeline, and took it upon herself to button up her best friend's pants again and fix her bra as well. Once that was taken care of, Luna alerted Dylan it was safe for him to come into the room.

"Who was that?" Dylan asked as he made his way over to the two girls.

Madeline shrugged, "Does it matter?"

Dylan and Luna exchanged a look as Madeline walked over to the bed, rummaging through the sheets as she looked for her phone before falling onto the mattress after losing balance. Madeline laughed to herself at the misstep, and once she had retained her balance, she propped herself up against the headboard.

"The party's ending soon," Dylan continued. "We're all heading out now."

"You couldn't wait ten minutes?"

"We're always waiting ten minutes," Luna exclaimed, a certain edge in her voice as if her repeated attempts to reason with Madeline lately had worn her out. "Or twenty minutes, or an hour. Aren't you sick of all of this yet?"

"Sick of what?

"Sick of acting like a heartless bitch," Dylan finished, monotonously.

Madeline paused for a moment, her brows knitting together as an injurious look spread over her features. But the pout of her lip soon curled up and she began laughing– laughing at them mockingly. She raised a brow, demanding them to challenge her once again.

Dylan wanted nothing more than to scream at her, and Luna wanted nothing more than to slap her. For as long as they knew her, Madeline had always been good at hiding her emotions and putting up walls; this just happened to be the Great goddamn Wall of China.

She hadn't so much as mentioned his name since she found out that he had cheated, and after two weeks of jumping from party to party or disappearing after midnight, and never being fully sober before getting high or drunk again, the limits of her friends to comply with these walls, or to try to break them down, had been severely tested.

This hadn't been the first time in the past fourteen days that Dylan and Luna were forced to act as her babysitter – forced to clean up her messes and ensure she didn't create larger ones – and they could guarantee it would not be the last. However, Madeline pushed them away further each time, and some of it had been intentional.

"Whatever," Dylan sighed disdainfully as he shook his head. "If you want a ride home, we'll be in the car."

Dylan made his way out of the room quickly, and didn't bother to look back to see if the girls were following him. He hated being around Madeline right now because he wasn't used to her like this, and he didn't want to be used to it. He just felt useless. Useless and tired.

Luna hadn't fully given up hope yet. Madeline had stuck by her side after all, it was only fair she tried to return the favor, even if it meant giving tough love.

"You're going to have no one," she said, refraining from putting any soft emotions behind her words. "Once you're done pushing us all away and we stop fighting you from doing so, you'll have no one." Luna kept her eyes trained on Madeline, biting out every word, hoping they were sharp enough to penetrate the rough exterior Madeline had built around herself. "I don't want to have to fight you anymore, so please, Madeline, please talk to me. Just let me help you."

Madeline had lowered her eyes to the floor, her lips were puckered tightly, and Luna had hoped that it meant she was maybe considering what she had said. It was hard to read her, but she could make out the glassiness of Maddie's eyes.

Cloud 69जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें