Chapter 5

"What do you think you're doing?" I seethed at Louis when we stopped in the hallway at a safe distance from everyone

Louis looked down at me, probably thinking I was talking about their small mafiosi gathering but at my next words, his expression changed, relaxed a bit.

"You hired Zoey because she can't protect herself if anything goes wrong." I stated in disgust. "But just so you know, I'll be the first one to protect her, do you understand?" I gritted out, my finger pointed at his face in a threatening way.

He was about to say something but the door of that office suddenly opened, letting out all the men one by one.

I stepped closer to Louis so they wouldn't hear what I was saying. I felt a vile stare at the side of my head. I knew Diego was watching me. I could feel his stare on me.

"You can tell that to Maxim as well." I whispered to Louis. "That girl is innocent and full of dreams. I won't allow her to end up in this dark world." Like I did.

Louis just nodded and I sealed a smile on my face so this conversation wouldn't seem to others like a threatened one.

When I turned to seek Diego, trying to catch his eyes, he was long gone. I felt an ache inside my chest and I knew I needed to leave now.

"If you all just excuse me, I'm in a bit of a hurry." I proclaimed, giving one last glance to my adoptive father and my uncle before rushing out of the building towards my car, seeking a quiet place to take control over my emotions.

To meet like strangers, to act like strangers... this is what you wanted?

I shut the door and rested my head on the steering wheel, taking deep breaths in and out, trying to suppress the tears at the back of my eyes.

He really loathed me. The way he watched me...

It's not him anymore. It's not him. Remember what he did to you. He was never the person you thought he was.