Twenty-three

March 2011

"Could you at least tell me where we're going?"

"It's a surprise."

"Aish Yijeong! You know how much I hate surprises." Yijeong picked Jieun up earlier after her work and drove past her home without any explanation. Jieun had no choice but to wait for him to stop driving. Not long after, they reached their destination. The place was not familiar to her at all.

"Yijeong, where the hell are we?"

"Relax, we're just going to my friend's birthday party."

"You dragged me all the way here without saying anything and now you're telling me that it's just a birthday party?"

"Yes, that's right Jieunie."

After a few knocks on the door, they were greeted by a man carrying a brown puppy.

"Hyung! You're here!"

"Well Tablo hyung invited me so I went over. How are you Yijeong? It's been a long time since I last saw you."

"I was very busy with work, hyung. My job's a bit difficult than before. You know, I also used to be a producer but I quit."

"Oh. I've heard about it."

The two were busy talking when the puppy struggled it's way out of the man's arms and jumped on the floor. He stood infront of Jieun, staring at her with his adorable eyes. Jieun was surprised. She was not used to such attention because she haven't experienced having a pet yet.

"What's wrong, Holly?" The man noticed the puppy looking at Jieun. "I think he wants you to pet him."

Jieun was again surprised. She didn't know what to do.

"Ah, I'm sorry, hyung. She's not used to having pets around. By the way, this is Jieun, my bestfriend. Jieun, this is Geumjae hyung."

Jieun slowly bowed. Geumjae, on the other hand was astounded.

"So, you're Jieun. The tan—"

"Hyung, did you see Holly?"

A slightly familiar voice rang in Jieun's ear. She turned to find that voice and there he was, the last person she wanted to see.

"Jieun?"

Jieun ignored him and glared at Yijeong. The first thought that entered her mind was that her bestfriend was setting them up. Pissed off at her Yijeong, she whispered her anger towards him. "What is this? I'm gonna kill you Jang Yijeong!"

Yijeong pretended not to hear anything. "Yoongi! Happy birthday, bro!" He approached Yoongi who was still frozen upon spotting the girl he thought he'd never see again.

Jieun wanted to go home but she was somehow stopped by Holly who kept on  jumping at her feet. The puppy must have loved her that much. Jieun kneeled to pat Holly's fur. The puppy's short tail wagged uncontrollably.

"Come on, Holly. Jieun needs to eat first." Geumjae grabbed Holly while it started whining. "The dinner's ready, Jieun. Go follow Yijeong."

Jieun suddenly got shy about telling Geumjae that she wanted to leave so she decided to just stay and eat. After dinner, she couldn't find Yijeong so she just stayed seated at one corner, avoiding any interaction with the other guests. She was anxiously scrolling through her phone when she spotted Holly running and heading outside the door. She panicked and ran after the puppy who was already at the backyard, together with Yoongi.

Despite the slightly dark surroundings, their eyes met—enough for Jieun to attempt to walk back inside the house. However, Yoongi took the risk to call her.

"Jieun-ssi. Will...will you please stay for a while?"

Jieun stood at a distance, glancing at the young man. She remained quiet, prompting Yoongi to speak some more.

"Can...can we talk?"

"Three minutes."

Yoongi was delighted that Jieun answered him. But he was very nervous that he would waste the short amount of time given to him to speak.

"First of all I would like to apologize with what I told you the last time we met I was really stressed out that moment and I felt hurt that you rejected the song which  I considered as my favorite but I never meant to hurt you with my words I just thought that I was right and that you would apologize but I'm just a stupid asshole who made the worst mistake in my life I felt so guilty when I found out what happened to you if only I could turn back time I would do anything to help you I really wanted to talk to you so bad but I was too scared that you won't listen and hate me forever I felt bad and I already realized my mistakes long ago I just don't know if you will accept my apology I'm really really sorry Jieun-ssi."

Yoongi took the three-minute time limit seriously that he sounded like he was having a rap battle. He gasped for air after the last word. Jieun was dumfounded with what she heard. She suddenly burst out laughing.

"W-why?"

Jieun just couldn't stop laughing. Yoongi talked too fast for her to understand every single word, but somehow, she felt the sincerity that goes with it. She even found it cute.

"Seriously, do you think my brain could process everything you said?" She was almost in tears while laughing.

Yijeong saw everything and he was lucky enough to be holding Geumjae's camera. He perfectly captured the chuckling Jieun, the confused Yoongi and the little cheerful Holly waiting to be noticed, in one frame.

Yoongi almost dropped the picture when Yijeong suddenly appeared in his office. He was trying to recall that happy day, the day when he started to be friends with Jieun. He wished he could just turn back the hands of time and stay at that moment forever.

"Yoons, I was calling you but you're not answering. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry, I feel asleep so I wasn't able to check my phone." He lied.

"By the way, I brought someone."

"Good afternoon, sir..." He stopped once he saw Yoongi. "Yoongi hyung?!"

"Beomgyu?"

Both were surprised and confused after seeing each other.

"I hired him as our intern. Since he'll be spending his vacation here, might as well give him something to get busy with." Yijeong explained.

Beomgyu just stood still, dumbfounded. "Hyung, I thought you'll introduce me to Suga."

Yijeong was laughing when he held the kid's shoulders and led him near Yoongi. "Beomgyu, meet the king, the boss, Min Suga PD-nim."

Still clueless, Beomgyu tried to analyze the situation.

"You are Suga?"

"Hmm."

"You're the famous producer?"

"Hmm."

"And you own Genius Lab?"

"Yup." Yoongi was entertained with the small surprises Beomgyu had discovered.

"That's why your name sounds very familiar! Now I get it!"

"Beomgyu was so excited to meet you earlier. Apparently, this kid is a fan of yours." Yijeong acted proud. "Actually, a fan of our duo."

"Hyung, I really look up to you. I loved your songs. I want to become a producer too someday."

"Alright, we'll make sure that happens." Yoongi assured, showing his gummy smile.

***
Hello I'm back! Finally it's Friday and I'm free from this week's workload. The first thing I did was to update this story. Writing is one of my stress reliever so I really made sure I spend some of my time doing this hobby. How's your week? I hope you're having a great day and I hope this chapter brings smile to you💙