CHAPTER NINE

Asher

She talked about her brother with a look of pure agony. That look made me feel more grief and guilt than I had ever felt in my life and all I could think was, If this is what I felt from looking at her, I can't imagine how much pain and suffering she lives with every day.

Then came the truly cruel part. She had been there. She had seen the horrific sight of him being killed. The sight that has haunted me for years, and I didn't even know the man. She probably remembered it daily, his head falling lifelessly and then dragged away again and again.

The thought made me want my uncle to resurrect so I could drain his life from him again for what he has put this pure, amazing woman through.

I was shocked when after she stopped, I felt a pair of small, calloused, delicate hands wrap around my own large ones. I didn't know what to do, so I just stared at her, waiting. I didn't expect to become more shocked as I listened to her comfort me.

Then at her last words, a single tear rolled out of her eye and down her cheek. She didn't look away, though, she continued to stare into my eyes making sure I was okay. It pulled me out of my shock, and I gently lifted her hands, gesturing for her to sit next to me, as I helped her sit down. Once she was seated I wasted no time in gently wiping the tear from her cheek. No one as amazing as her should ever have to cry.

We stayed like that for a moment as I stared deeply into her eyes, my hand still holding her cheek. I was shocked once again when she goes to speak in a quiet voice, only to make a joke about me staring! I was not expecting that so when she said that I let out the biggest laugh and didn't stop for almost a minute.

She seemed to be surprising me at every turn and I loved it. I keeping our playful conversation going, by flirting with her a bit, making sure to give her a small wink. She didn't even bat an eye as she laughed right back at me. I laughed with her for a bit but when I stopped, she continued, with the most melodic laugh and the most beautiful smile on her face.

This is what it should always be like. She should always be laughing as smiling and should always feel loved and at peace, so much so that she never has to shed a tear again.

I stare at her, wanting to memorize this moment, and then I realized that I didn't even know this girl's name yet.

Lilly, she said. Lilly is perfect. She told me to call her by her nickname, Dal. I quickly changed that and told her that doll suited her so I would be calling her that instead. I just couldn't fathom calling her something everyone else does because she is not like everyone else to me, even if we only just met.

She introduced her brother and friend as well and we stared at her brother a while before I asked her about getting word to his mom. She told me she had raised him by herself all these years and I was speechless. This beautiful woman raised a child, that wasn't even her own; by herself, it would be an amazing feat, but she did so much more. She would have had to keep him hidden and still go out and provide for him with little to no help from others, just to keep him safe.

I was silent for a moment too long when I saw her look up at me, slightly worried. I didn't even have time to think of something to say before I unconsciously let out a quiet, "You're so incredibly brave."

How does she respond though?

"It's not brave, he's my brother of course j would take care of him." She replied as she tucked her hair behind her ears as her face begins to redden in embarrassment.

Her embarrassment catches me off guard, as she makes it seem like this is something new and not something she should be told every day. I stare at her lips, trying to come up with something to say back.

"Uhm. I-I..." I'm flustered and can't seem to get a coherent word out-- not that it would matters if I could because I don't even know what I am trying to say, as I seem to have lost all my thoughts when I look at her.

She rescues me by letting out a loud bark of laughter, a seemingly at my expense. At the sound of her laughter, I seem to come back to my senses. I look down and scratch the back of my neck out of embarrassment and habit before just as fast I begin laughing with her, loving the lighthearted and fun side of her.

Since I have seen her she has seemed tense and on guard, I'm glad I can make her laugh-- even if it's at my expense.

At the sound of our laughter, Charlie rolls over in his bed. She covers her mouth with her hand trying to quiet herself. This movement makes me laugh even harder. She quickly reach her other hand over and harshly cover my mouth with her hand, trying to quiet me as well. I try to ignore how perfect her hand feels. We continue to laugh, both of us unable to block the euphoric joy we feel in this moment and neither of us wanting to.

Slowly our laughter dies out. We are quiet for a moment as we stare into each other's eyes, for the umpteenth time today. The quietness seeps in and before long she breaks eye contact and gets up from the bed we are lounged on, "Well, umm... we should probably get some sleep," she says reluctantly as she walks across the tunnel and settles onto the bed across from mine.

I pull my gaze away from her, not wanting her to catch me staring, as I move around allowing myself to find a comfortable position in this very uncomfortable cot.

"Goodnight Asher." She says quietly. I've never enjoyed the sound of my name as much as I did when she said it in that soft, beautiful voice.

"Goodnight doll," I say with a smile on my face as I drift off to sleep.