Chapter One: Going Back Home

"Fatima"

She sat up properly and held the phone to her ear, Her aunt was not used to talking to her in such a serious tone unless something calls for it.

"Na'am Iya"

"Come back. Nana is very sick and" She hesitated to put it in a manner which won't alarm Fatima.

"I don't think she will make it".

Even though she doesn't share the normal mother-daughter bond with her mother, Fatima loved her more than anyone else even if to date, she doesn't recognize her as her daughter.

She composed herself and responded calmly despite the numerous emotions she was going through at that particular moment.

"I am coming back within the week Insha Allah. Let me book my tickets"

With that said, she ended the call and lets out a sigh as she went through her calendar to see that she has not used any of her vacation days meaning she can at least request for a two-month break.

That will give her enough time to round off whatever she needs to get done in Nigeria and also get Nana a proper hospital to take care of her or even come back with her if she manages to secure a resident permit for her.

She quickly typed her request and sent it to the manager's email before going back to her room to pack.

It's been almost five years since she left yet something reminds her of him every single day and today it was the hand luggage she brought out, the same hand luggage she took when she left Abuja.

She shakes her head away from his thoughts and started packing the necessary outfits she will need in Nigeria.

Once her request was approved the next day, She booked her ticket and was on the next available flight to Nigeria within no time.

The blazing sun hits her the minute she stepped out of the plane making her realize how much she didn't miss Abuja's bizarre weather but still, she is happy to be back.

There is truly no place like home and for her, Abuja was and will always be her home.

Just like she planned, Simi was waiting for her and from the way she was waving, she knew her best friend missed her as much as she did.

"Where is Beth? I thought I emphasized that she should be the first person I see?" She inquired once they break out of each other's embrace and walked out of the airport referring to her two-year-old daughter.

"In the car with her father. I have zero energy to come into the airport with a toddler!"

"Thank you for coming to pick me up"

Simi rolled her eyes collecting her hand luggage "Don't even start your mother Teresa act young lady. I can't believe I have not seen you for five years"

"I know you missed me" By the smile on her face, it was evident that Fatima missed her just as much even though she loves pulling her legs.

"I thought you will come back after your masters honestly" Simisola declared bringing up the main topic that took Fatima abroad.