chapter 9

Her eyes remained glued to the door, which was now shut.

The voices were gone, or faded, as though soft background music.

Emily desperately tried to replay what had just happened.

Pinch yourself, a voice inside her head told her.

This must be a dream.

There was no dream after the pinch on her forearm.

She did not wake as she had expected.

Instead, she stood inches from the door frame, frozen to the spot.

Her eyes glazed over with tears suddenly, urging her to cry.

She was out...

Or was she.

(POV changes here)

The group stopped at the door way, unsure of who was supposed to open the door, revealing what ominous things might be on the other side.

Paige rolled her eyes, and twisted the brass door knob.

The door creaked as it opened, and Lamisa and Haylie both gasped as the musty air filled their lungs. 

There was nothing in the door way as expected.

Just emptiness, tearing away at the house.

They walked in slowly, taking in the details.

The wallpaper had started to peel, and there were paintings throughout the house; one of a boat set sail on the calm sea, one of a picnic under an oak tree, and one of London, England.

Haylie ran her fingertips across the wallpaper, feeling the slight crunch and dryness as it glided willingly, caressed.

Lamisa walked through the living room, in hopes there might be something else more interesting in the old house.
She found nothing of the sort.

Instead, the group continued through the house, looking for things left behind. Clues, resources, and at this point, anything to lead them to their friends.

There stood the door, close by to the kitchen. It held the secrets of a basement, and the futures of their friends. Still lost.

Alex was the first one to notice this door, and he opened it.
A dirty staircase appeared, as did specks of dust floating lazily in the air.

He called the rest of the group to join him, and being careful not to inhale their death sentences in dust, walked down the stairs.
Each step creaked and groaned like the back of an old person, and a smell of dry wood emitted.

Lamisa made quite the funny sound, as the musty smell was still in her nose.

Ariq held back a laugh, and looked around blankly. It was dark, and no one could see a thing.

Paige stepped onto a floor like texture of ground, and cautiously spaced herself out.
She called out to the rest of the group.

"Does anyone have a flashlight?" She yelled.

"Holy fuck you scared me", Haylie replied, and then paused.

"..do you guys hear that?"

"If this is your attempt to scare us, you're failing miserably", Ariq told her and folded his arms across his chest.

If someone had turned on the light over head, they would have seen the sound.

There would be screams. And a silence.

There was a raspy breath that filled the room. Hoarse, but present.

The silky webs shifted.

Chills went down their spines, as the movement became more clear. More loud.

Squirming and unsettled, a hand tore through the mesh growth.

"SOMETHING GRABBED ME!!" Alex screamed.

His attempt to scramble away from the figure had failed. It's nails dug into his ankle, whilst he cried out.

Another hand flew out, clawing at the ground. Lamisa grabbed her phone, hands shaking, Haylie and Ariq both latched onto Alex, pulling him away from whatever things was pulling him in.

A bright light shone from Lamisa's phone.

With a final squirm, tearing of flesh, and a gasp for air, one word.

"Shahad?"

A/N: Welcome back my lovelies. ;))
I apologize for not updating sooner, I left you all on such a cliffhanger.
Don't worry my darlings, there will be many, MANY more to come. *winks, evil laugh*
I swear if none of y'all loathe me after this, there's something seriously wrong.
Anywhomst, ENJOY.