49 ♛ Ash Bu'hir

Start from the beginning

"...Is it Devanti?" he asked. After all, she deserved nothing less but a man who would love a woman genuinely, even if it's his brother-in-law who hated him with a passion.

"My private affairs are not your concern, Your Majesty," she replied bluntly.

Xander closed his eyes. You deserve this. He scolded himself.

Aside from an empire built on blood, what else does he have?

A cruel heart, that's all.

It's not even a heart, to begin with.

And Xander, who has only known cruelty brewing under his calm surface, grinned evilly.

The secret she's been desperately keeping, he'll unravel them all.

Some claim that the North is a duchy just in name. In truth, it is entirely independent of Gran Dacchia, from its economy, military power, and wealth.

The people all bend to the Ducal House of Norvillon, more than they follow the Gran Dacchian laws. Those who did not were either dead or fools. They also like to keep to themselves, that even the high society of the North rarely visits the capital during the social season.

Despite its territory as big as half of the previous Gran Dacchia as a kingdom, most of it was the Black Sierra, the mountain range, home of the monsters. But this fearsome landform was also the lifeline of the North, with the vast gain of spirit stones from monsters.

Thus, the House of Norvillon and its rulers for centuries fiercely protect it under a tight grasp. The security is tight, both in the Medakaz Magic Gate for short journeys, and the normal route that would take weeks to a month to reach the duchy.

Fortunately, Xander was able to sneak in, among the traders that brought the finest silk and laces for the only lady of House Norvillon, his niece.

It took him days and risking his neck, but with the help of chosen men, Xander was now in an old cottage, with nothing but a lamp, stacks of hay, and the smell of old rotten wood. This is not a place for an emperor and a duke's only daughter.

But it could probably be the best for now.

Devanti Norvillon is scouring the highs and lows, centers, and corners of the territory for his daughter. And as the man who took the precious girl, Xander's head would leave his body before he knows it.

However, he must take the risk. He knew Devanti would never want to talk to him again, after their symbiotic relationship ended at the last war with Southland Duztec and Arbaria Kingdom's alliance. After all, Devanti was just helping by hopes that his men could freely search Gran Dacchia or the defeated territories for his daughter.

Xander must ask about the duke's relationship with Diana and the letters.

His niece was already found, right under Xander's nose in the Peduha Slums. And now, he has abducted the girl.

"You must be hungry," he said. His hands extended to the appetizing food on the table.

The little girl swallowed but then answered a hard decline.

"Papa said do not talk to strangers or take their food."

"Stranger?" he asked amused and pointed to himself. "Me?" He chuckled. "I see, I'm a stranger."

Devanti was so intent on cutting off ties from any remains of Kirien's existence, that the girl seemed to have no idea who Xander was.

"Are you going to kill Lizzie?" The girl asked, referring to herself in the third person.

Xander's amused grin faltered. He studied her, but she studied him as well. The paintings and sketches that his spies sent did not give justice to the brave doll in front of him.

Feliziia Norvillon or Lizzie.

Unlike him, she's the only legitimate descendant of the royal family, although she had no characteristics of golden Gran Dacchia.

She's the younger replica of Kirien, bold and brave, with the brightest deep blue of the Norvillon eyes.

The longer he stared, the more the girl shrunk in her seat in fear, but her eyes, although afraid, never left his.

He cocked his head, only then, he answered "Do you want me to kill you?"

"Do you want to?" she flung the question back.

"Well, that would be an interesting development." He extended his hand, conquering the space, above the steam of the soup. She flinched and closed her eyes, only to feel his hand patting her head.

And Lizzie slapped it away.

Xander raised a brow. Not bad. The girl has a backbone. "I guess the rumors about the Norvillon's little miss wasn't exaggerating. You are extraordinary one way or another."

A knock interrupted them and a former noble of the North, now a fugitive, entered.

"The duke has agreed to meet you. It is time Y— Sir." The man then turned to the now stunned Lizzie. "Good evening, my lady."

However, his tone was colder and smug. The little girl flinched.
She wiped the swelling tears in her eyes before they dropped.

Like all those who oppose the Norvillon, the former noble was both foolish and will soon be dead.

"Did I permit you to enter?" Xander asked the newcomer. The man was Xander's liaison for his current endeavors.

Xander had plans, and the man was a pawn. After he is done with his goal in the North, he had many ways to punish the former noble who was now a criminal for selling children. But more so, it was because killing the man would probably earn Xander points to Devanti.

The last thing he needed is to make the  duke his enemy.

The man apologized. Xander rearranged his dark expression to a bright smile, turning to the terrified Lizzie. "I'd be worried if you run away. So stay here, understood?"

She bit her lip, but then after a deep, shaky breath, she spoke.

"You'll die." Her threatening gaze was unusual for a child.

As expected of a Norvillon, Xander thought.

Tears rolled on her cheeks, but her bright blue eyes were like an omen of death. "My Papa will come for you."

"The insolence to threaten H—!" Xander cut off his accomplice.

Nine years old and she knows how to rile people. Xander took the challenge and smiled at the girl. "It is what I'm hoping, young Lizzie. It is really what I'm hoping for."

Then she was left alone.

The whole week I spent drawing young Lizzie was so worth it 😭 Although I could not draw her younger for eight/nine years old, I did my best. 🥰

The prologue of the second story for the Empire Series is now updated. I hope you look forward to

Lizzie of the North

as you did for Diana of Alcotta.

Some parts of LotN happen at the same timeline as DoA. So some details in this chapter such as the name of Xander's accomplice and how Xander kidnapped Lizzie, were not explained here to avoid spoilers for the second story.

Thank you and stay safe everyone.

Ellena Odde ❤