Chapter-1

Eva Stewart

I reached down and picked up the ball that stopped at my feet. I plunged it high in the air. "Catch it," I chuckled.

It circled and raced high until it slammed against the sides of the white lilies with a crack and fell.

Their little cushion-like orbs immediately met mine, reflecting the same mischievous grin that was adorning my lips.

"One, two...", before I could continue my count to three, they stomped their feet enthusiastically and ran after it.

The sight compelled me to laugh hysterically. It was so hilarious to see those little limbs trying to make the fastest move at that moment.

"G-R-A-N-D-M-O-M," a sobbing sound broke my trance. I turned my face back to trace the owner of that vulnerable voice.

My eyes instantly moved towards the edge of the garden where I stood.

Mrs. Dove, the caregiver of the orphanage stood there with an old lady. The figure screamed power of wealth.

But who was she? I leaned forward, watching them curiosity with a hint of wistfulness.

"Please don't leave me here." the trembling voice stole my attention.

"Is that lady, more precisely girl's grandmother leaving her here?" I frowned.

The little girl stood behind her. Her eyes were young, her voice was aching. Two lovely drops of tears were enough to keep those orbs sustained.

"Welcome Bella, welcome to 'Marigold Children Home'." Mrs. Dove offered her a warm smile.

Bella, that's her name as beautiful as she was.

The next moment that lady made her way towards the exit. But Bella's soft trailing fingers consistently attempted to uphold the connection. The one which was repeatedly refused by her grandmother.

In my mind, I saw a string stretching from my heart to her. It was taut and vibrated with worries and fears and I felt them all.
Deeply. I felt them all for Bella.

Mrs.Dove's office

"Why did she leave her here?" I asked her the same question again.

This time she sounded so tired. "I know if there was any choice at all, they wouldn't have left her alone. She had made sure she would be taken care of. Didn't she?"

In a heartbeat, a thousand memories flooded my mind.

"Mrs. Dove," I defeatedly said," Maybe she did."

Then silence surrounded us for ample seconds.

"May I ask you something?" she finally spoke.

"Sure," I replied.

"You belong to 'The Stewart', fortunate enough to have a great family. Still, yet you spend most of your time here. What exactly do you want?" She completed.

Each word hit me at the right chord. I wished I could say, I wanted a home, not a house. I wanted a family not people around me. I wanted to have friends.

But none of those things were real. At least not until I started visiting there. Forthwith I was just trying to hold on to the happiness that I found being there.

"To belong, okay?" I snapped.
I felt tears in my eyes, quickly, I wiped them all, "you don't know what it's like to be alone."

"Huh?", she said in a confused tone.

"I meant, the people here are like my family. I can't leave you all alone."

Before she questioned me further, I shrugged and stood up.