CHAPTER 5

A couple days later, Buddy and I were brought out to the arena together.

"The Killer vs Buddy!" the announcer shouted, "3, 2, 1, FIGHT!" 

We both sat down, refusing to fight. All the humans screamed at us and started throwing rocks at us. I ran to Buddy and tried to block the rocks with my body. Buddy's owner came into the arena and waved his arms at the people so they would stop. Rob threw him a stick looking object. I backed away and Buddy lay on his back wagging his tail nervously. Joe walked over to him and started beating him with the stick. Buddy just lay there yiping in pain. I came to his rescue and bit onto the stick, but it pierced the inside of my mouth because it apparently had sharp spikes around it. I let go and went for the guy's leg. He whacked me in the ribs with the stick before I could get him and the crowd cheered. Joe liked the positive attention and he hit me again only this time in the face. I stood still.

"Hit him harder!" Rob yelled. 

Joe swung and I dodged. He ran at me and I got out of the way. Rob jumped down into the circle.

"Give me that!" Rob said, snatching the stick out of Joe's hands.

"Come!" he ordered me. 

I stayed in my spot. 

He pointed at Buddy with the stick. "Fight!" 

I growled at him. He hit Buddy and Buddy yiped. I rushed toward Rob and he got ready to swing. I leaped at his face with my teeth bared. He hit me as hard as he could in the side and I smashed into the ground and slid across the dirt. The crowd cheered louder. Everything was spinning. Rob came over to me and grabbed me. He dragged me to where Buddy was lying.

"Fight!" he shouted, throwing me onto his body. 

Buddy stood up and Rob hit him with the stick, knocking Buddy off his feet. I staggered to my feet still a little dizzy and stood over Buddy.

"FIGHT!" Rob roared, hammering me with the stick. I fell to my side and Rob thrashed me as he shouted "FIGHT!" over and over. When he tired himself out, he stopped and looked at the damage he had done.

"Give me the gun." he said.

"What?" Joe asked.

"The gun! Give it to me!" Rob yelled. 

A man from the crowd gave Joe a gun and Joe handed it to Rob. He pointed the gun at me. I whimpered and shut my eyes. 

BANG! I heard the gun go off, but I didn't feel anything. I looked to see Buddy lying next to me. He had blocked the bullet with his body. I got up, ignoring the sharp pain in my ribs.

"Buddy!" I shouted. 

Buddy looked up at me from where he was lying. "Tracker..." he whimpered.

"Why did you do that?" I asked.

"I couldn't let you die like that." he said.

"I deserve to die more than you do."

"I was going to die one way or the other."

"No, we could've escaped."

"Not if you're dead..." Buddy started whimpering in pain. "It hurts!"

"I can't watch you suffer." I said.

"Put me out of my misery." he told me. I looked up at Rob who was standing there in shock with the gun in his hand.

"Please!" Buddy whimpered. Tears ran down my face.

"Don't make me do this." I pleaded.

"You'll be doing me a favor." he said, "Please, Tracker." 

I put my teeth around Buddy's throat and shut my eyes as I squeezed the life out of him. When it was done, I let go and stared at his lifeless body. Everyone was silent. I lifted my head and howled. Rob dropped the gun. He realized what he had done was wrong.

Rob put me in my cage and I never saw him again after that. He had given me away to someone else and I continued to fight.