CHAPTER 4

A couple days later, Buddy got torn up pretty bad.

"Please tell me you at least tried fighting back." I said. He shook his head.

"Buddy, we talked about this!"

"I told you, I don't fight."

"Why not?"

"Those dogs don't deserve to be treated that way. They need to eat too."

"If you keep doing this, you'll starve. Don't you think your life is just as important as theirs? If not, more?"

"I just can't bring myself to do it, Tracker. It's not in my nature."

"I refuse to sit here and watch you slowly die. You're the only friend I've ever had." I told him, "I'm going to get you out."

"I thought you said there is no way out."

"I don't care. I'm going to find a way even if it costs me greatly. That's a promise." I said. Buddy smiled.

"I'm not going anywhere without you." he said, "That's my promise to you." 

Buddy and I spent the next few days planning our escape. We decided that when Rob lets me out of my cage, I would bite his leg and grab the keys and then unlock Buddy's cage. We would then go for the exit and ran as fast as we could away. It was a simple plan but we didn't have much to work with and we were only puppies. 

The next morning, Rob came and unlocked my cage with the keys. I walked out very calmly and started to walk to the fighting arena, but then I turned and bit Rob's leg as hard as I could. Rob shouted and pain and I jumped up and snatched the keys out of his hand. I ran to Buddy's cage but Rob caught me by the collar. I twisted around and tried to bite him. The keys fell out of my mouth and Rob pinned me to the ground and attached a leash to me. He pulled me to the arena as I tried to pull back to get to the keys. They were lying on the floor just out of reach of Buddy. I was forced into the arena and Rob took the leash off me. On the other side of the arena was a large mutt. The humans were teasing him with a piece of meat tied to string. Every time he would go for it, they would lift the string up just out of reach. I could tell it was making him really frustrated.

"Beast vs The Killer! 3, 2, 1, FIGHT!" The dog looked over at me and lunged forward. I dodged and ran around the ring. The mutt didn't seem that interested in playing the chasing game and he just stood near a barrier. I ran at him and used him as a platform to jump over the wall. All the men freaked out when I got over and Rob tried to make his way to me. I ran to the door but I couldn't get it open. Rob grabbed me and dragged me back into the arena. The big dog lunged at me again and grabbed my ear. I yiped and he let go and went for my throat but luckily my collar was in the way. He had me pinned and I gave up. I wanted to get back to Buddy. The mutt's owner pulled him off me and Rob brought me back in through the door. The keys were still on the ground and Buddy was trying to reach them through the bars. When I was brought over, I pushed the keys into his cage and he grabbed them.

"Hey!" Rob said, reaching through the bars to try to get the keys back. Buddy let go and bit his hand. Rob pulled his hand back.

"Stupid dog!" he shouted. Buddy pushed the keys to the center of his cage and sat on them. Rob left me and opened the door to the arena.

"Joe!" he called, "Get in here!" Buddy's owner came in.

"Your dumb dog stole the keys." Rob told him.

"How'd he get the keys?" Joe asked.

"I dropped them and he won't give them back."

"I don't see any keys." Joe said as he looked into Buddy's cage. Buddy wagged his tail and stuck out his tongue.

"He's sitting on them."

"Okay. Well Buddy isn't vicious. We can just let him out of his cage."

"Oh really? And how are you gonna do that?"

"Yeah I didn't think about that." Joe said. He got on his knees and reached into the cage. Buddy grabbed his watch.

"Hey! You filthy thief!" Buddy dropped the watch next to the keys and pushed the keys close to the edge. Joe quickly grabbed them and started to unlock Buddy's cage.

"What are you doing?" Rob asked, "I need to put my dog away."

"Well I need to get my watch." He leaned in to grab it and was blocking Buddy from getting out so I bit him in the butt.

"Ouch!" he cried, turning around. Buddy bolted out of the cage.

"Control your dog!" he told Rob.

"Control your dog!" Rob said. Buddy and I went straight for the exit doors.

"FREEDOM!!!" Buddy cheered as we pushed them open. We raced across the street and into the woods. Something sharp pierced my back leg and I looked to see a Belgian Malinois pulling me back.

"Let go!" I yelped. 

He held on as Rob and Joe caught up. Buddy stopped and looked back at me.

"Keep going!" I barked.

"I promised I would never leave you." Buddy said, trotting back to me. 

Our owners grabbed us and brought us back to our cages.

"Good boy, Shredder! Good boy!" they said to the Belgian Malinois.

"You should've gone without me." I told Buddy.

"I don't want to be free without you." he said.

"You need to stop worrying about others. Do something for yourself for once."

"I am. I won't be happy without you so I'm gonna stay with you for my own happiness."

"You're going to die if you stay with me."

"But at least I'll die happy."