"Blaze is out as well. They must have our animals subdued, just like the shifters in that dungeon. I swear, once we are out of here, I will kill Cyrus myself."

"You and me both. He told me that you were in danger and I didn't even see it coming." I was annoyed with myself for falling for Cyrus' ruse. I had always disliked him but had to tolerate him because of Aiden and my future Alpha status.

"I can't believe that he was stupid enough to make a deal with Markolf."

As I listened to Aiden, I sat down on the hard concrete floor and leaned on the wall that I shared with his cell. It looked like we were kept underground so, inevitably, my mind travelled back to the time that I spent in Markolf's dungeon before. Back then, I failed my mother. Now I risked failing my mate, my best friend and our triad.

The pain from that thought hit me like a train. I couldn't afford to lose either one of them. And I could not bear the idea of not seeing Riley again. Her smile, her laughter, her wittiness and her feistiness. Her soft skin and her delicious lips. The sounds she made as she fell apart.

Fuck, I needed her like I needed oxygen to breathe. And I was a fucking idiot for pushing her away when all I wanted was to pull her closer and never let her go. I thought she was better off without me- who needs a damaged shifter, a damaged man after all. One who couldn't even protect his own mother.

I told myself that I did not need her. That having a mate would only make me weak. That it made me vulnerable. But it was all just a lie. She made me feel emotions that I was not familiar with. It was like I was on a constant emotional rollercoaster- exhausting and invigorating, frustrating and pleasing, draining and refreshing all at the same time.

My days began and ended thinking about her. My fingers were itching to caress her from her gorgeous face all the way down to her toes and then back up again. My lips were aching to brush against hers again. My cock....oh, the things I wanted to do to her with my cock, starting with that perfect pussy of hers. More than anything, though, I felt this urge to do whatever was necessary to make her happy.

"We need to get out of here, Aiden, and whatever happens, we need to protect Riley. Markolf didn't bring us here for a chat- he wants our mate," I growled, my hands clenching into tight fists. "And I'll be damned if I let him ever do anything to her."

"We're on the same page, Rafe. Although, I have to say that the silver lining here is that Markolf makes you face your feelings for her," he chuckled satisfied.

"Fuck off."

"Tell me that you don't want her," he challenged me, knowing full well what he was doing. "Tell me that she is all just mine. That I can have her any way I like. That I can be the only one who makes her scream in pleasure. Who makes her laugh. Tell me- I want to hear it," he demanded.

With every word he said though, my blood boiled more and more. Not at Aiden, but at the idea of not having her by my side. Of giving Riley up. Kai and Aiden were right- I had been in denial for too long.

"Never! She is ours, Aiden, and I am not giving her up. Our perfect, fiery mate."

"About fucking time," he laughed. "I was starting to lose hope that you would ever get there."

"Dickhead!"

For a moment, it felt like we weren't held prisoners by a deranged half-demon. Like things were going to be okay. But then the reality settled.

"Aiden, if things go south, you have to make sure that you get out of here and that you protect her. Don't you fucking dare pull some stupid shit trying to save my arse. Riley is our priority, and you do whatever you need to do to get to her."