35. Adopting One

En başından başla

"If she was she wouldn't be out here two days in a row," Cana told him. "Even then, orphanages are in the outskirts, away from shopping streets. You won't find one in the heart of Crocus. She must be a traveller."

"Like a lost child?" Gray raised a brow at that. That didn't make sense.

"No," Cana had to roll her eyes. "like someone that's trying to find home."

Gray took a moment. Then, "oh, so like us?"

Cana was silent at that. And that was a clear answer. She reached for the redhead, shaking her by the shoulder as gently as she could, "hey. Hey, could you wake up?"

It didn't look too great. She was thin, she looked weak, and her skin was cold.

She was breathing, but it was shallow. Maybe if they were in Magnolia, they could bring her to Porlyusica...

"What're you kids doin' here?"

They flinched. Gray immediately stood up in alarm, and Cana reached for her cards. The voice was slurred and low, and both children knew this tone well.

(It's the voice of a drunk man, and they both knew the horrors of that.)

(In daylight, too, what the hell?)

They straightened to see a man-- no, a teenager? further in the alley. He looked to be around Bickslow's age-- and he was drinking?

He stank of alcohol, and Gray winced at it. Cana was a little more used to it, so she drew a water card and pointed it before her.

"You're intoxicated," she warned. "Please leave."

The teen hiccuped, brushing his loose bangs toward the back of his head. He held a gourd of sake, clumsily strung to his wrist by a thick red thread. He didn't wear a shirt, but his shoulders were draped in light leather guards.

His hair, long to the middle of his back, was left down.

"No, no, don't worry bout it," he said, utterly unaware of how wary of kids were of him. "It's daytime, but alleys are still dangerous, so stay away from these shady places, kay?"

Cana wanted to clock him over the head with a bat.

"Hm? What's that girl, injured?"

Cana squeaked as the teen stepped and swung, then with movements of a curved snake, made his way all around the kids so he could have a better view of the sleeping redhead.

"S-Stay away!" she yelled, raising her card further up. Gray quickly echoed, conjuring an icicle into his hand as a weapon. 

And with the close distance, Gray finally realized. 

"Wait! This guy is from the tournament!" he said, reminding Cana quickly before the girl blasted him to kingdom come. "From that, wild four thing!"

"Wild Four guild... ah, you mean Quatro Cerberus?" Cana said, her shoulders easing.

The teen grinned drunkenly at that. Upon closer inspection, he was tipsy, but wasn't acting out like adults would. "So you have heard of us. Yep, that's me."

Cana still didn't trust him, though. "You're Bacchus," she addressed, careful to stand confidently as she spoke. "You're the one that's fighting Eir today, right?"

Bacchus nodded, "and now that I see it, you kids must be from that 'bassador project thing," he acknowledged. "Sorry to freak you out, but being drunk will help me with the match, so I'm just trying to get a headstart."

That sounded ridiculous, but who was Cana to judge.

"Anyways, that girl's not looking so great." Bacchus' eyes narrowed, look past Cana to the sleeping girl again. "We should get her back to the infirmary in the arena."

"Huh?" Gray reacted, "we can do that? I thought it was a guild-exclusive facility."

"You can just call her one of Eir's kids and they'll let you use them."

"Ah... wait, isn't that abuse of power?"

"That ambassador title was literally made to be abused, so it's fine."

Cana hissed. "Anyways, who are you to be helping a random girl on the street, huh?" she taunted snarkily, "tryin' ta be a perv, mister?"

Bacchus raises his hands in a sort of 'hey, easy there girl' manner. "Fiesty one, aren't ya? But unfortunately, my creed is to always be wild and gentlemanly. Wouldn't be much of either if I saw this and let it lie, y'know? Master Goldmine would be disappointed in me."

Cana still looked wary, but she puffed up her cheeks and turned away.

"Enough, enough" Gray said, tired of her natural hostility and opting for a civil conversation. "Let's get her to the infirmary, c'mon."

They needed an adult to help carry the girl back, after all.

"Three or four, could you go back to Eir and tell him we're going back to the Arena first?" Cana said, calling up toward the sky.

On cue, (and to Bacchus' surprise,) the two totem dolls emerged from their hiding spots near the balcony of the building, swirling happily around the kids.

"Back! Back! Arena! Arena!" they chanted.

Cana waved a short goodbye, and one of them flew away in the direction of the market. The other settled on Cana's shoulder to remain as their escort.

"Woah, doll magic," Bacchus whistles, impressed. "That yours, girl?"

Cana hums, snarking, "maybe, who knows?"

"Awh, do you hate me?"

"Hell yeah I do."

Gray groaned. 

"Cana, stop antagonizing him," he said, slightly in disbelief at the fact that he is the one trying to calm her down from trouble. "And uh, Bacchus-san, right? Your match is starting soon as well, so we should all hurry either way."

Cana turned around with an annoyed huff.

Bacchus laughed boisterously at that. "Y'know what, I think I like you kids."

Cana seethed. "Well, I don't like you at all!" She declared vehemently, because she needed to make that point very clear or this guy would probably pretend to forget it immediately. 

"Cana, stop antagonizing him!"