As we drove I pulled out my phone so I could text Ki that I landed. The second I unlocked my phone though, I saw a message from Colby.

Colby: please be safe.

My heart crumbled at the simple text. Why couldn't he just let me be? It hurt so bad to even think about him, let alone have to constantly get messages from him. I texted Ki and Kat, then turned my phone off. I didn't want to see his messages or his face.

"Alright, here's your stop." The Uber driver said as he parked the car. "Thank you." I said then got out of the car with my bag.

I looked up at the hotel and smiled fondly at it, remembering the time my mom brought me here as a kid so we could have a "spa getaway".

It was one of my favorite memories with my mom. We just stayed up watching movies and doing face masks. There was no reason for it other than the fact that she wanted to do it. That's all that mattered to her.

I got checked in then went to the room so I could set my stuff down. I had somewhere to be so I grabbed my phone and wallet and went backstairs to get another Uber.

I checked my phone again as I waited for the Uber, just to make sure Ki landed safely.

Ki: Just landed. The dude next to me smelled like ass so you owe me at least one beer.

I laughed at the text then replied.

Violet: two beers and a kiss on the cheek.

Ki: deal.

I rolled my eyes with a small laugh as the Uber pulled up. I checked the license plate then got in. "Ameritus Nursing Home?" The woman asked as I nodded. "That's the place." I said as she nodded and started to drive.

I looked out the window as the sun set around us. I was excited to see the stars tonight, since there was almost no smog or light pollution in the town I lived in. The stars were always my favorite things to look at.

After the 15 minute drive we got to the nursing home. "Thank you." I said quietly then got out of the car. "No problem, sweetie." The woman said as I closed the door.

When I got inside there was a nice looking blonde woman standing behind the desk. "Hi! How can I help you?" She asked as I bundled my sleeves in my hands. "I'm actually here to visit someone..um..Genevieve Winters?" I asked as she smiled fondly.

"It's been a while since she's had a visitor. She's going to be very excited. What's your name?." She asked then typed something into the computer. "Violet Richards." I said as she nodded. "Someone will be out to get you in a second." She said as I nodded and walked to the middle of the waiting area.

It's been a while since I've been here, so I was obviously a bit nervous. I found myself reaching for my phone so I could call Colby but had to stop myself.

I couldn't call him.

I sighed then put my phone in my pocket as a nurse came into the waiting area. "Violet?" She asked as I nodded. "Come on back." She said and led the way. The hallways looked exactly the same as the last time I was here.

They were a tan color with rosey wallpaper detailing on the borders. It smelled vaguely of mothballs and flowery perfume, which would usually be kinda gross, but I found it to be nostalgic.

"Here ya go. Call me if you need me." The nurse said and opened the door so I could go into the room.

It was a smaller room than I remembered, with a bed along the window and a desk along the other wall.

When I walked in the older lady that was sitting on the bed knitting, looked up.

"Gracie? Is that you?" She asked quietly as my heart shifted. "No, grams. It's Violet." I said and walked up to her as she frowned. "Oh, you're so grown up!" She remarked with a smile as I opened my arms.

"I know, I'm sorry I haven't visited in a while." I said as she hugged me. "It's okay. Gracie hasn't seen me in so long either." She said sadly as my heart broke.

My mom used to visit my grandma every week before the accident. She loved her mom so much, but she knew that she couldn't take care of her the way these nurses could.

Grams suffered from early onset dementia so she was slowly slipping through the cracks.

"I'm sorry, grams. I'm here now though. I came to visit." I said as she smiled and patter the bed next to me. "Did you come to see your parents?" She asked as I shook my head, fighting back tears. "Not this time. I actually came to see you." I said as her eyes sparkled.

"Well I wish you would have told me! I would have dressed up." She said and looked down at her sweater. "You look beautiful grams." I said and took her hand, rubbing it with my thumb.

"So do you, sweetheart. You look just like your mother. She hasn't come to visit in a while though." She said with a small frown as she looked away.

"Do you get any visitors? I see you have some flowers over there." I said and pointed to the desk. There was a big bouquet in a vase that was propped perfectly against the wall.

"Those are from Charles down the hall." She said with a bashful grin. "Grams! Do you have a boyfriend?" I asked as she giggled. "Maybe I have a little crush." She said as I laughed.

"What about you my dear? A pretty girl like you must have a boyfriend." She said as my heart seized up slightly. I tried to keep the pain from seeping into my features so she wouldn't get upset.

"There's this boy..who I love. It's just a little complicated right now." I said with a sigh as she frowned. "How so?" She said as I chewed my lip.

"You really want to hear about my boy problems, grams?" I asked as she put down her knitting needles. "Of course I do, but only if he's dashing." She said with a wink and took my hands.

"Wanna see a picture?" I asked as her face lit up. "Yes! I love pictures!" She said as I pulled my phone out.

I scrolled through my camera roll then pulled up a picture of Colby and I. It was from the night we went to the Hollywood sign.

My chest caved in as I looked at the picture. We looked so happy and in love.

I wanted to go back.

"Oh! He's dreamy. And you look so beautiful, Gracie." Grams said as I smiled sadly at her. "Yeah. He is pretty cute, isn't he?" I asked as she brought the phone closer to her face.

"Pretty cute? He looks like James Dean. You love him don't you?" She asked as I sighed. "I do. I don't know if I can love him anymore though." I said as she frowned. "How so?" She asked and took my hand.

I sighed then told her everything, keeping it pg13 since I was talking to my grandmother. She listened intently as I tried to keep the tears from falling, unfortunately I was unsuccessful.

"I think this Jordan girl is the villain." She said as I laughed a wattery laugh. "The villain?" I asked as she nodded. "Yes. Like in my soaps." She said and pointed to the tv. "I think the boy loves you. You should love him too, before it's too late." She said and rubbed her locket.

My grandpa got it for her a couple years before he passed. She hasn't taken it off since.

I went to respond but was interrupted by the door opening. "Visiting hours are over." The nurse said as grams nodded. "Will you visit me again soon?" She asked as I nodded. "I'll come by tomorrow morning, okay?" I asked and gave her a big hug.

"Okay. I love you sweetheart." She said as I kissed her cheek. "I love you, too." I said then grabbed my keys and went to leave.

"Violet?" Grams asked before I could walk out of the room. "Yes?" I asked as she smiled fondly. "Take a flower. Charles won't mind." She said as I grinned and took one of the flowers. "Thanks grams." I said then brought it to my nose so I could sniff it.

I was led out of the room then out into the hallway. I started to think about what grams had said.

Maybe I needed to love him again before it was too late.

But maybe it was already too late to love him again.