Chapter 39 - The daisies that sprout between the sidewalk cracks

Start from the beginning

As we entered the Great Hall, I saw Pansy wave us over, or probably just me, with one of the only spare seats at the table being next to her. No, thank you.

I felt Eleanor tense up next to me. She was jealous and I quite liked jealous Eleanor. It made her extra fiery, extra intimidating.

"I think you dropped something in the common room, darling", Eleanor said as we passed Pansy. She got the pin Pansy had given me out of her pocket and casually dropped it in her cup of tea. The people who had witnessed the incident were dead quiet. Eleanor just shrugged and walked on.

It used to annoy me when Pansy made moves like that, trying to make herself seem more important to me than she really was.

Eleanor and I was still a concept in the making, not yet something serious, but she was possessive and I didn't mind it. It made me stop caring about these other people.

Pansy could try all her tactics on me and she probably would, but I wouldn't lift a finger, because Ellie would break hers just for trying and mine would still be tangled in the ends of her hair.

"You're really sexy when you're jealous", I whispered as she sat down next to Daphne. She glared at me as I walked over to Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle.

ELEANOR'S POV

Transfiguration was an absolute bore as we were simply revising the spells we had gone over this past year. Luckily I had something to look forward to, though.

But I didn't get to speak to Draco anymore until after lunch.

I had doubted for a long time about whether or not to get him a present. We weren't really dating, nor were we proper friends. We were just ... content spending some time together whilst making out half the time.

But it felt rude not to buy him something, so I did.

And I learned that Draco really wasn't a fan of his birthday, which surprised me. Normally he didn't mind some extra attention, but people congratulating him made him almost awkward.

Again when I was studying in the common room, a wave of happy birthdays erupted when he entered the common room. Our eyes met and he looked relieved for some reason.

"Do you want to go out for a bit?" he asked. He seemed overwhelmed, which was rather adorable.

"Okay, let me grab some things and then I'll meet you outside", I smiled. He nodded and made a bee-line for the exit. I went to my dorm to brush my hair and grab his gift and then went outside again. He was waiting outside of the common room, nervously tapping his foot.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked as I approached him.

"Yeah, just didn't feel like being in the common room today", he shrugged, starting our walk to the Hogwarts ground.

"How come you don't like your birthday?" I asked, enjoying the warmth of June.

"I don't know, I don't get why so many people I never talk to suddenly feel the need to congratulate me and hang around me. I prefer my solitude." I could understand that.

"So when you don't want to be around everyone, you do want to be around me?" I asked and a warm feeling spread through my body. It felt good to mean something to him.

"Don't flatter yourself, Selwyn", he said, but a smile lurked around his lips.

We walked outside and around the black lake. It was quite a walk, but no one was around and Draco seemed to enjoy the peace and quiet. We eventually sat down in the grass under a tree, in between the daisies and clovers.