𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮

CHAPTER TWENTYthe unexpected turn of events

CHAPTER TWENTY
the unexpected turn of events.

•••

WHEN STEFAN INFORMED HER THAT DAMON HAD ASKED TO JOIN THEM AND HE ALREADY SAID YES, Bella knew right away that she was no longer on the winning team. And she didn't think like that because she was still mad at Damon (even though she wouldn't deny that she was still mad at him), but because she knew for a fact that Damon was a reckless and impulsive person.

Stealing Klaus' coffins was a big move, they indirectly declared war on him. And to win the war, to beat someone as smart and powerful as him, they needed to be at least one step ahead. They needed to think things through. They needed to be careful and always considered every single possibility of decisions they would make. And they couldn't do that with Damon on the team, he was too unpredictable. He could make a sudden change in plan and not telling them until it was too late.

"Good morning," the oldest Salvatore greeted as he walked past his younger siblings who were in the doorway of his room, he only wrapped in a towel from the waist down, his raven-hair was still wet after showering.

"You're late," Stefan pointed out, both hands on his jacket pocket. "We were supposed to met Bonnie at the witch house in ten minutes."

"Relax, brother," Damon taunted and Bella frowned at his unusual cheerful attitude. "Your hair won't fall out."

"Would you hurry up? We have work to do," Stefan replied flatly and leaned his back against the door frame while Bella leaned her shoulder against the other side of it. "You know, Klaus isn't gonna easily self-destructif." Just then he also realized the unusual cheerful smile on Damon's face. "Why are you all chipper?"

"No reason." Damon tried to hide his smile, but failed. "Give me a minute."

Bella raised an eyebrow at Damon's back as he moved away to his closet at the other side of the room. "Honestly, I don't see why we need him," she said as she turned her face to Stefan. "He's useless."

"Heard that," Damon exclaimed without turning around.

She scoffed, "Good."

Stefan could only shake his head at his siblings' behavior, a barely noticeable amused smile on his face.

While Stefan chose to wait for Damon outside, Bella chose to go to the study to write a small note to attach to the gift she had prepared since two days ago. Today was Caroline's birthday. She knew about that from the twenty questions game they played at one of their girl's night last summer. It was two weeks after her 161st birthday that everyone including herself had forgotten because it happened at the same day they found out that Damon had been bitten by Tyler. Finding out about that, Caroline insisted that they still had to celebrate it, so she threw a surprise party for her. And since then, she had decided to include Caroline's birthday as one of the days she had to remember.