3.6 - Crack And Whores

Start from the beginning

"Please don't hurt me again." I cry, trying to look away from him. "Please I'm begging."

My cries mean nothing to him, that's been proven to me multiple times, but I always end up back here.

"I won't, if you do as I say." He smirks, pulling away.

"I'll do anything. Just please don't hurt us." I cry even harder as he lets go of my face.

"Good, now get on your knees."
*

"Margo, are you okay?" Koleton grabs my wrist gently, snapping me out of my flash-back.

"Yeah, sorry." I whisper, clearing my throat and shaking my head.

"Fucking look at me when I'm talking to you!" The voice that I can now identify as his father's yells again and I flinch at the tone.

I follow Koleton down the stairs to see the kids sitting in the corner of the room.

"What happened?" Koleton asks quietly, referring to the argument taking place in the next room.

"I don't know. He was mad when we woke up. He's been yelling at momma all morning." Phoenix answers and Koleton lets out a long sigh before Phoenix speaks again. "Momma tried to tell him to stop, but he got angrier."

"I'll be right back." Koleton turns to me before walking out of the living room and the air seems to become thicker with him gone.

After a few moments of muffled yelling, Koleton emerges from around the corner. "We have to leave for church now or we'll be late."

We walk out to the cars, Koleton and I riding with Andrea while the rest of the kids ride with his dad. Meemaw and papaw left earlier this morning.

"Are you okay?" I turn around to face him before getting into the car as he holds my door open.

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Right now you need to plan how you're going to sit through a whole church service without burning the building down."

His jokes causes me to roll my eyes, turning around and climbing into the car. "Whatever."

———

Well, he wasn't wrong. This church service has been the longest thing of my life, and I've been to a lot of long things.

"It was hot in there." Stevie fans herself with the booklet each of us were given as we walked into the building.

"Tell me about it, I was sweating more than that hook three rows behind us." Meemaw responds, causing me to snap my head in her direction with wide eyes.

"Meemaw! Watch your language." Andrea snaps at her, causing her to roll her eyes and scoff. "I'm serious. I'm not trying to let you get us kicked out again."

"Again?" I turn to Koleton, my eyebrows knitted together.

"Meemaw is very outspoken about her opinions. We've been kicked out of church lots of times, the most recent time being caused by her choosing to beat up a nun in the parking lot." He explains, only causing more confusion to surface in my face.

"A nun?"

"That bitch deserved it. She took my damn parking space so clearly I was going to fight her." Meemaw snaps, causing me to fail at my attempt to stifle my laughter.

"Koleton, take Meemaw to the car." Andrea hands Koleton the keys and he lets out a long sigh. "You can take Margo too. I'll be out in a few minutes."

"Yes ma'am, c'mon Meemaw." Koleton places his arm around her shoulders, leading her out of the church. I follow closely behind, scared that people are staring at me.