Chapter 38 - And the world stares in awe of their eclipse

Start from the beginning

"What's yours?" I asked. "Wait no, let me guess." I thought about it for a while, but it was quite an easy answer.

"Is it, maybe, the colour black?" I teased, trailing his black blazer with my index finger.

"Smartass", he huffed, nudging my shoulder. I was right, though.

"Anything else?" I asked, causing him to frown again.

"I know your favourite course is Arithmancy, but what's your least favourite one?"

"Divination", I said immediately, not having to think about that for very long. "You?"

"Care for Magical Creatures, I think", he said, a frown on his face. I couldn't help but laugh.

"What are you laughing at?"

"Sorry", I giggled. "I just remembered third year, when Hagrid's Hippogriff attacked you. What did you call it again?"

"That wasn't funny", Draco huffed. "His bloody chicken." I laughed, remembering that day. Although it was stupid of Hagrid to let third years handle Hippogriffs like that, Draco had been the world's biggest drama queen.

"It's killed me, it's killed me", I mimicked his voice, continuing to laugh.

"Watch it Selwyn, you're going to regret that", Draco threatened, but a smile lingered on his lips.

"My father will hear about this", I continued, thoroughly enjoying tormenting him a bit. Draco grabbed me by my waist and gently pushed me against the pillar next to the entrance to the Great Hall.

"Your big mouth is going to get you in trouble one day, Ellie", he said slowly, trapping me so I had nowhere to go.

"You like doing that, don't you?" I smirked. "Pushing me up against walls and all that." He narrowed his eyes. Sixteen years of experience with my personality should have taught him that I didn't shut up easily.

"I like having you right where I want you", he said, stroking the hair out of my face.

"I like having you a little closer", I whispered, slowly closing the gap between our lips. He smirked as he kissed me back. His one hand slid to my waist, pulling me closer as the other one travelled to my hair.

He softly bit my bottom lip, so I parted them just enough. How had I gone almost three whole days without this? It was addictive.

He pulled away a couple moments later, remaining eye contact. The moon shone on his face, highlighting his perfect features.

He was a lot like the moon, and I was the sun.

We were opposites, hot and cold, day and night, bright and dark. Like the sun and the moon, lovers who rarely meet, always chase. Chase that feeling of perfect bliss, trying to forget the stifling reality of being opposites. But once in a while, they do catch up and they kiss, and the world stares in awe of their eclipse.

And I wished for this eclipse to last forever.

"You're beautiful", he whispered, his soft breath dancing on my skin. I blushed deeply, not able to keep eye contact. But as soon as my eyes left his, he pushed my chin up again so I had to look at him.

"I noticed it first at that Christmas Ball half a year ago. I saw you and thought you looked absolutely stunning, without even realising it was you", he confessed, smiling slightly. "And I absolutely hated myself for thinking it."

I chuckled, thinking back to that one night, the night where it all began.

"I was so confused when you kissed me that night", I said. "I was especially confused that I didn't hate it."

"It just felt so natural hating you, it was easier", he sighed, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Imagine what life would have been like if we just got along from the start", I chuckled, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Our mothers sure would have preferred that", he said. "We would probably already be married by now. But then we'd have missed so many beautiful fights."

My relationship with Draco sure had been a rocky ride.

"I would have had one scar less", I said, holding up my wrist that was still marked with a small white line from the Potions accident. He took my wrist and gently traced the line with his fingers.

"When did you get this one?" I asked as I noticed the silver ring around his finger. It was decorated with a snake, most likely referring to Slytherin house.

"Family heirloom", he shrugged. "My father gave it to me over Easter break, as a bribe to make sure I don't besmurge the Malfoy name, I think". I could definitely relate to that.

Our ancestors earned that last name, Eleanor, and it's our job to continue earning it. These were words I would carry with me for the rest of my life.

"I wish I could take it off, I hate it. I don't need a reminder of my father and his threats on me every moment of the day. But he'd be so angry if he found out I didn't wear it", he said, trying to take it off. I put my hand on his to stop him.

"It's who we're meant to be, whether we want it or not", I said. It was the truth.

"Yeah, you're right", he sighed. "It's who we are."

"We'll be fine", I whispered, pulling him into a hug. "It's quite calming to know that whatever side I'm on, you're there too. That makes any side the good side."