𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓: 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕰𝖘𝖈𝖆𝖕𝖊

"That's a stupid plan," Annabeth says as Anne finishes explaining her plan.

Anne told Percy and Annabeth they would act as prisoners in case anyone questioned them walking around, and Anne would be their guard, escorting them back.

"It could work," Percy says from the couch.

Annabeth scoffs. "Yeah, and women can vote." She sighs. "The goal is to get out of the country alive, not in a coffin shipped somewhere for our traitorous burial."

"We only get killed if we get caught."

"Have you forgotten you're a woman? Nobody is going to believe that you're a guard. You are too..."

"Too what?" Anne asks. "Woman-ey?"

Annabeth smirks condescendingly. "Woman-ey isn't a word. However, womanly and feminine are better examples."

"You know what--"

"Okay," Percy interjects. "Stop, you two. Fighting is not going to get us out of here. It's dark, we cannot stay here another day, they will be searching houses for us soon and our cover will be ruined. Our best bet is to hide in the shadows and go to the east woods and start travelling that way. I promise, as soon as we are all out of this god awful town and safe you two can continue your squabbles."

Annabeth and Anne look at Percy like he had a chicken head.

"I will take lead since my face isn't on any wanted posters yet," Anne says, walking towards the door.

The fog settles against the ground in an eerie way that wasn't selcouth for Norwich. Anne left her hair down to keep her warm, but Annabeth put hers up so it would be more difficult to be recognised by guards.

Percy steps on a leaf and Anne violently shushes him, to which he rolls his eyes and steps on the leaf a second time to get a rise out of her.

A guard comes walking down the road with his light and Anne pulls Annabeth and Percy in between two buildings so they will be out of sight. Annabeth is trying to focus on not breathing too loudly or making any sudden noises, but Percy is right next to her, clouding her thoughts.

Once the guard leaves, Anne leads them back out into the road.

"Stop!" a voice yells. "Who are you?"

Anne turns around. "Hello officer, is there a problem?"

"The other two," he says. "Turn around."

Annabeth and Percy slowly turn around and face the man shining a light in their face.

"I thought you said it was clear," Annabeth whispers to Anne.

"Really?" she asks. "You're pointing this out now?"

"Stop whispering," the man demands. He squints at the group of people. He was about an arm's length away from them. "Hey, aren't you the wanted kids that killed the Magistrates head? And his kid?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about," Annabeth says, shrugging one of her shoulders.

"Do you take me for an idiot?" he asks.

"Yes," Annabeth says without hesitation.

"Why would you say that?" Percy scolds.

Annabeth looks at him. "What? It's not like he has a gun." The man pulls out a gun and points it at Anne. "Oh, I stand corrected."

"You just had to do that?" Anne asks.

"It's so like men to always have to prove women wrong," Annabeth says. "If you shoot her, that's sexist," she says to the man.

He trains his gun on Percy. "I guess I will shoot him instead,"

"No wait," Annabeth says quickly. "Shoot Anne, she's not as important."

"Annabeth Maria Chase, I will kill you," Anne warns.

"Stop bickering!" The man orders.

Anne rolls her eyes and slips her hand down to her boot and chucks something at the guard at the same time he fires his weapon. The man falls to the ground, and so does Annabeth.

"Annabeth!" Percy yells. He drops to his knees beside her.

Annabeth presses one hand against her side and puts the other on Percy's shoulder. "Help me up," she says tersely. "Now, Percy. What are you waiting for me to bleed out?"

Anne walks over to the guy and yanks a knife from his neck and wipes it off on her skirt, slipping back into her boot. "We have to get out of here," she says quietly, walking over to Annabeth in Percy. "It won't be long before every soldier in Norwich is on this road."

Once Annabeth is to her feet, she forces herself to stay upright and follow Anne and Percy through the roads.

"We have to find somewhere to stay tonight," Anne says. "Annabeth won't make it very far like that. We have to treat her."

The group makes it behind a building with milk crates. Percy helps Annabeth sit down in the group with her back against the wall. Anne crouches down next to her and rips a ball of fabric off of her skirt and picks up a small rope that was in one of the nearby milk crates. She presses the ball against Annabeth's wound and ties the rope around her waist so it stays on.

Anne stood up. "I'm going to sneak out. She's going to need some food and water. Keep an eye on her and if anything happens to me, take her to the woods and leave me behind."

"Anne," Percy says.

"Percy." She narrows her eyes. "You will leave without me if I get caught. You will get Annabeth through everything."

"I'm just a houseboy," he whispers. "I can't--"

Anne crouches down and grips his jaw tightly, forcing him to look at her. "Listen to me, bread thief. You are capable. You are strong. You just don't believe it. I know they did more than lashed you in that jail cell. I know because I have been there. Don't you dare give up, because if you do, I will have it arranged that you are murdered, and we both know that would hurt Annabeth more than you, so I suggest you stop pussyfooting around and get the job done. Understood?"

Percy nods and Anne runs off. He looks at Annabeth, who has cold sweat across her forehead and her eyes are closed.

"Don't die on me," Percy whispers.

Her eyes flutter open and she forces an attempt at a weak smile. "Don't worry, love, I'll never leave you again."

Several hours go by and Percy starts to worry about Anne, but she makes it back and works on Annabeth's wound with her little supplies.

"One of us will have to stay awake at all times with her until tomorrow night," she instructs, "to, you know, make sure she doesn't die."

"Are you always so blunt?" Percy asks.

Anne smiles but it isn't real. "If I played it close to the vest, we would never get anywhere."

"Be honest, do you think she'll die?"

Anne crosses her arms. "No. The gunshot is just a flesh wound. She'll be fine. I promise. So don't worry about her, okay?"

Percy glances at Annabeth, who was sleeping now.

"Okay?" Anne urges.

Percy nods. "Okay, yeah. I trust you."