Getting Back To Normal

Start from the beginning

>>>>

Cameron and I huddled up late on a Thursday night. Becca was asleep, but Addy had momentarily woken up. She did this at midnight nearly every night, and tonight was no exception.

"She's talking to herself," Cameron whispered as we listened through the baby monitor to our youngest daughter talking.

"It's so cute," I smiled. She was saying dadda and momma, which made us both smile.

Within about ten minutes, Addy had fallen back to sleep.

"So... I know we have like, twenty-six weeks to go until the triplets arrive," Cameron began. "But I think we should tackle the nursery. But, we'll have to create Becca's new room first. Of course, if we have one girl, we can put Addy in with Becca, and give the baby a room of her own."

"Oh, yay!" I agreed excitedly. "Except... No, I don't want Addy sharing with Becca. Bec's too territorial."

"Yeah, but well, we don't wanna have no room for the triplets," Cameron sighed.

"We need another room," I sighed.

"No, we need a bigger house," Cameron corrected.

"Oh, but I love this house," I groaned sadly. "I don't wanna move."

"Neither do I, Rose, but we might have to. We're gonna have five of them soon, so we're gonna need all the room we can get."

"We need a minivan first," I reminded him. Cameron claimed he'd found a car, but when we went to look at it, someone else had taken it.

"We're gonna have to get Addy and Becca to sit in the back. It's also gonna have to be big enough for three car seats."

"We need something with six doors."

"I don't think they exist, babe."

"Oh, I'll find one."

"Look, we'll look for a new car, and we'll look for a new house. In reality, we need a six bedroom house, one for us and so that the kids each have one."

"Cam, if the triplets are all boys or all girls, then they're gonna share a room. If there's one girl and two boys, or two girls and one boy, then they can share a room until they're like, one. Then we can consider moving. So let's not look for a house just now, and stick to just looking for a car."

"You're stubborn," Cameron groaned.

"I am realistic," I snapped. "I had to move during my last pregnancy because one, we had someone try and break into our house. And two, we needed somewhere that had more than two bedrooms. So I'm carrying more than one baby, and I don't wanna move just yet. So we will wait!"

And I stormed upstairs and went into my room.

"Oh, Cam's useless sometimes," I sighed.

I crawled into bed, and I was out like a light. I awoke in the morning, and Cameron was just getting up. He had a week holidays, so we were staying up late, sleeping in and keeping the girls home from daycare. I went downstairs to the kitchen to see Becca looking annoyed.

"Morning, girls!" I smiled brightly at my two daughters.

"Hi," Becca scowled.

"Okay, Cam?" I asked. "What's up with miss moody here?"

"I don't know," Cameron shrugged his shoulders.

"Daddy, I want toast!" Becca shouted.

"Rebecca, stop talking like that," I hissed.

"Bec, you're having cereal," Cameron answered Becca.

"No, dad!" she squealed. "You're useless, you know?"

"What?" Cameron said, confused.

"Mommy said you are," Becca hissed.

"What is with the attitude?" I questioned Becca.

"I don't like him," she sneered at Cameron.

"You called me useless?" Cameron asked.

"No, I didn't!" I snapped.

"You know better than anyone that kids repeat everything adults say," Cameron said sharply. "Don't lie, Rose."

"Well, I did," I sighed. "But I muttered it last night, and nobody would have heard it. Especially not Becca!"

"Well, I had to put her back to bed after you went upstairs," Cameron told me. "So she clearly overheard you. So... I am not useless."

"You can be," I snorted.

"I'm going for a shower!" Cameron snapped, storming off upstairs. I rolled my eyes, but Becca's mood seemed to lighten after she had breakfast and then went and played in her room silently. Addy was a happy baby, and I smiled as she walked along the furniture.

I realised that Becca had been listening to and repeating my praises of Addy's development, and then she'd repeat them in front of us, and we'd began thinking she'd come up with it on her own. No, she'd just been listening to me.

I let it go and took a shower. Cameron calmed down, and I apologised for my remarks. He could be useless, but I have no idea why I'd ever voice it to him. I seemed to have really hurt him...

Becca was a much better behaved girl for the rest of the day, until she let it slip that Jenna had talked about sex in front of her, and Becca got way too descriptive for an almost four year old. I don't think Becca actually understood it, but Oh, my God could that girl retain information! That actually scared me. Motor memory I thought silently.

We were usually careful about what we said in front of her, but there would always be moments where she'd hear us, and then everyone would hear about it.

>>>>

Jenna, her fiancée Dane and Nathan dropped by late that afternoon to pick up the girls. They so desperately wanted to babysit, so I let them. Becca was brilliant by that afternoon, but I could have killed Jenna when she walked in the door. She apologised, not realising that Becca was even there. She was with Dane, and Becca must have snuck up behind them. Yeah, we knew our sneaky daughter had developed that unfortunate habit, but hopefully she'd stop eventually.

Cameron and I spent a romantic night together. He lit candles, we had a beautiful dinner that he cooked, and then we took a long bath together. After that, we went to bed, both happy we had a night to relax. When I had five kids, it wasn't going to be as easy to get a night alone. I'd have to send them all off to different places!

I loved romantic moments with Cameron, because he always knew how to make me feel incredibly special.