chapter 2

The door to the king's office opened and his personal bodyguard otherwise known as his right hand man entered. The king was sitting on his chair going through documents with his legs crossed on the table

" I believe this belongs to you" 

Jack said as he hanged the coat.
The king flipped over and didn't even bother to look up.

" Now if it had been Maddie, I'm sure you would have spared her a glance" Jack said as he walked over to the coffee maker. The king raised an eyebrow at him.

" Grayson am I telling the truth?"

Jack inquired and put down a cup of coffee on the table.
The king closed the book and brought down his legs, Jack scoffed as he sat on a sofa.

" As always anything concerning her grabs your attention?" He said.

Grayson sighed and took a sip

" What can I do? The future Queen is a slacker" he said, Jack looked at his friend.

" I know many queens who don't even touch swords, they learn etiquette and how to behave womanly, one of them is your mother"

"My father specifically made her join the royal army.."Gray replied.

" So, she must have some qualities at least" Jack interrupted.

" And you could reject her anytime, you guys are not even engaged or betrothed, perhaps she would find her prince charming elsewhere. Have you perhaps taken fancy to her, my lord"

" Any other person would have his head rolling on the ground for interrupting the king, you know" Gray said and folded his arms as he leaned back.
Jack bowed in apology

" Forgive me your majesty"

" You're forgiven" he replied

" Thanks for your kindness, my king"
Gray waved his hand to dismiss him.

" There's also miss Carla" Jack said.

Gray's eyes contracted at the name. Even though his rarely shows any expressions, Jack knew how he felt by looking at his eyes so he continued.

" She was there when Maddie came to drop your coat". Jack added and Gray smirked.

" She wants power, a noble who joined the army just for attention. I'm afraid she's only wasting her time" he replied

" She has always showed her affections towards you" Jack reminded.

" We are only friends"

" Then this servant would take his leave" Jack bowed slightly and left.

At the training grounds

Maddie sat at the corner while the rest were training, she couldn't even use any of the equipments. She looked and saw that the punch bag was free , she walked towards it.
She stood in front of the bag and looked at others, just one of their punches sent the bag swinging. She looked at her fist and folded it, she then raised it up and hit the bag. It didn't even shift and her hand was hurting like mad, laughter echoed throughout the hall.

" Is that Maddie I see trying to break a bone?" Someone said and everyone laughed.

" Seems like she isn't trying anymore, she already got a broken bone" everyone laughed again.

" Why don't you continue singing while we practice huh, that will make this place pretty lively you know" a huge guy known as Butch said.

Maddie smiled faintly as she walked back to her corner.

Someone sat beside her as soon as she settled down, it was her childhood friend, Gabriel.

" I hadn't seen you all morning, Gabe (it's pronounced like babe but with a G)" she said as she leaned on the wall.

" Forget about me, they were mocking you just now and you didn't do anything" he said.

" There's nothing wrong with what they said, it's all true. I don't even know how I got into the army with my poor skills" Maddie said and sighed

" I believe someone saw a hidden potential in you" Gabe said .

" Ah, stop trying to console me Gabe , even children in the streets hear how terrible I am. They  composed a song for me you know, I don't even know why I'm still a guard" she said as she smiled bitterly.
Gabe could feel his friend's pain.

" Well you and I know that it was the former king that requested you to join the army" he said

" What's the use anyway?"

" He gave you the title of "the sword", maybe you don't have to be good with swords but in other skills"

" It won't do, I'm just a failure"

" No you're not..."
" Do you know how many times I tried to tell me self that? I just suck , maybe my destiny doesn't lie with the army"

" Maddie...."

" Enough about me, I met Carla earlier" Gabe's eyes widened.

" Really?!, Uh I mean. Sure where"
Maddie chuckled, she was aware that her friend has feelings for the lady, they were both elite guards but it's a pity that Carla does not have her eyes on him.

" Gabe..." Maddie started to say.

" I know what you want to say and I'm not giving up. Who knows maybe some day she would notice me ?"

" Gabe..."
Maddie grabbed his hands to stop him from talking.

" We might even get married or something."

" Gabe!!!"
She shook him.

" Alright, I heard you called the king ' your highness' ".

" Yeah, sometimes I forget that the former king is dead."

" He didn't do anything?"

" Nah"

The door to the training grounds opened and Calhoun walked in.

" Okay, time for discussion is over, everyone choose a partner to spar with." Then he turned to Maddie and Gabe.

" You and your boyfriend should spar, he's the only one who would go easy on you"

" He's not my..."

" Okay everyone!"

Calhoun clapped his hands together and started walking away.

" Go on, take a partner . You have ten seconds to do that. Take your positions immediately" he shouted at the guards as they paired up and chose partners.