Chapter 8: Broken promises

Start from the beginning

"What's going on here?" a familiarly unfamiliar voice sounded from the door as loud steps of the said person echoed through the silent hall.

Serenity didn't look up but she stilled when Mama Victoria let out a loud squeal "Killian!"

The man walking towards them wasn't someone Serenity would recognize if they walked past each other on some streets. A low gasp left her mouth. Her eyes budge out, she cannot believe who she was seeing. Killian...

There was no remaining traces of Killy in his features, he had completely evolved from the young man Serenity had left behind. His face was rugged with scars and marks and the apprehensive aura that vibes off him was unusually strange. Serenity noticed he had grown a big fat mustache like their Athair. He looked indeed muscular and much more stronger than the lanky boy she remembered 10 years ago.

Her mouth parted in shock and she couldn't sense anything that was happening around, her gaze was solely fixed on him, What shocked her the most was his eyes, his plain brown eyes that had used to have summer gleam was frozen, an unbarring hole that seemed to have left of nothing, in practical words- dead. She saw his mouth move and he was conversing with someone. Even when his lips twitched up in a smirk, his eyes remained the same- dead.

A churning feeling gnawed at the pit of her stomach and Serenity felt like throwing up, her temples were sweating, palms clammy and she felt a shift in the air, it was as if the ground had rattled below her feet. A lump started forming at her throat and she realized a thing that completely tore her.

"Serenity! Are you okay?" Igor jerked her back

"Huh?" she looked at him lost in thoughts. Everyone's eyes were on her, they were watching her intensely.

"Do you have anything to say?" Conall stated sternly.

She looked around and looked down, shaking her head.

"Did you or did you not agree with what Camilla is accusing you of?" he asked again.

She looked at Killian again but he didn't bother looking her way and was concentrated on his phone while standing on the side with a bored expression on his face.

'' Killy, will you still be the same Killy I know even after many many years?''

Killian smiled but it didn't reach his eyes,'' Yes, except that I might grow a big fat mustache like Athair.''

Serenity shook her head,'' No, please promise you will never change. I don't want you to be like Athair, he doesn't come home, he ignores me and he doesn't love me. I don't want you to be like Athair''

Serenity shake her head, shrugging the wetness in her eyes. "No, I-I didn't know that it was Alessandro Vitali-"

"Oh you mean you were actually throwing yourself on someone else." Camilla butted in.

"No, that's not-"

" Come on Serenity. Drop your act and tell us who your actual target was last night.'' Charon spoke up for the first time this morning eventually siding with her daughter.

Tears sprung out of her eyes as she vehemently tried to express herself, the way they were accusing her makes her look like a cheap whore and Serenity knew if she takes Killian name, they would surely double mean it and charge her with more disgusting imputations. Camilla had that smug evil look on her face and the other wives mirrored her expression. And when Killian himself was nonchalant, she wasn't confident enough to take his name.

Don O'Sullivan had no expression but his clenched fist was telling a different tale as it lay hidden on his side from everybody's eyes. Igor was the only one standing by her side and barking back at all the allegations. Serenity didn't know how to speak up and silently cried in dread.