Chapter 14

Gabriel replayed the news footage once more. Gabriel had lost and ally and Ladybug had gained one. Gabriel wondered if he could make Lila Rossi his new Mayura. She certainly had the capabilities, but was she trustworthy? Gabriel pulled open Emilie's portrait. He looked at the peacock miraculous, laying their innocently, as if it didn't destroy three lives. Was he willing to endanger the life of a fourteen year old? A life that had so much potential. Gabriel heard a knock on the door. He tucked the peacock miraculous into his pocket and closed Emilie's portrait.

"Come in," he called.

Lila Rossi walked in, her face red. Her eyes were glossy. Gabriel had never seen her like this. She was usually calm and collected.

"Are you alright, Miss Rossi?" Gabriel asked, genuinely concerned. He couldn't lose another assistant. Everyone would think there was something wrong with him.

"Fine." Lila said, "I'm just here to pick up next week's runway schedule."

Gabriel opened a drawer and pulled out the pink paper with the details. He handed it to her. He saw some bandages on her hand as she grasped the paper and pulled back.

"Lila, wait." Gabriel intercepted as Lila was halfway through the door. Gabriel sighed, "close the door and come with me."

Lila hesitantly shut the door and walked over. Once Lila was in the correct spot, Gabriel pushed the buttons. The platform moved down, causing Lila to gasp before steadying herself. The once neat, pink paper was now crumpled in her bandaged fist. The elevator stopped. In front of him was his beautiful wife, consumed by sleep.

"Mr. Agreste," Lila squeaked, "is that Mrs. Agreste?" The paper dropped onto the floor, disregarded.

Gabriel beckoned for Lila to follow him up to Emilie's coffin. Lila stood there, shell shocked, unable to move. Gabriel walked up to Emilie as Lila slowly followed him.

"She's more beautiful in person," Lila whispered.

Gabriel looked at Emilie lovingly, "she used to be so full of life. She used to shame any person that claimed to be beautiful."

"What happened to her?" Lila asked, shuffling her feet closer.

Gabriel reached into her pocket and pulled out the jewel, "this. This jewel took away my sunshine. Ever since that day, I have been in an eternal darkness."

"That's the peacock miraculous!" Lila exclaimed, "Nathalie was Mayura, wasn't she? You're-you're Hawkmoth!"

Gabriel nodded, gazing at Emilie's lifeless face, "Emile was Mayura before Nathalie. I need you to be my next. With the wish from the ladybug and black cat miraculous, my Emilie would come back to me. Come back to Adrien."

Lila's eyes widened, "you're crazy. I respect Hawkmoth, but I am not putting my life on the line. I'm sorry, but that's insane."

"I fixed it, Lila. It won't hurt anyone anymore."

Lila looked into Gabriel's eyes, "you're-you're not lying."

"No, I'm not. I need help. Please. I need my wife back. I can't live without her."

Lila looked at Emilie, "I want to be your intern and want you to pay my scholarship to college."

"What?" Gabriel asked, taken aback.

"I don't have money. I'll do this, but I need you to pay all of my family's funds. You don't need to buy anything, just pay off our bills."

Gabriel stared at Emilie's face. She was worth more than money, "okay." Gabriel handed her the miraculous. He was desperate. Nathalie was his last hope. Now, that hope had switched to Lila Rossi.

"Where's your lair?" Lila asked, "or is this it?"

Gabriel set his face. He would have to deal with this from now on. Her attitude wouldn't mix well with his.

"I have a separate 'lair'." Gabriel said.

"Well," Lila started, "can you take me there?"

Gabriel sighed, "fine."

Gabriel kissed the glass of Emilie's coffin. He and Lila went up the elevator. The elevator halted and Gabriel stepped out. The window in front of him allowed warm sunlight inside, showcasing all of his butterflies. One landed on Lila's finger as she held it out.

"Is this where you akumatize people?" she asked, holding the butterfly in front of her face.

Gabriel held out his palm, a butterfly landing on it, "yes," he answered. The wings of the butterfly were pure white, innocent until filled with darkness. He slowly closed his fingers around it, feeling its wings flap against the palm of his hand, struggling to leave. He opened his hand again, the butterfly flying off, its white wings shining against the sunlight.

The butterflies all started fluttering around the room as Gabriel's phone buzzed. He put the phone to his ear. Then, proceeded to put it back down.

"Amelie Graham de Vanily is coming to visit."