Care For You

Taken place in Alexandria

"Great," I said to myself in a sarcastic tone. I saw Rick opening the gates for me as I came back from my morning run. I anticipated a lecture about leaving Alexandria for a run.

"It's a beautiful day out." Rick announces as the gate opens and I walk inside. This is his way of being friendly before he gives me the lecture. Once inside the perimeter, I stood casually, giving him a mildly annoyed look knowing what was coming. He had his eyebrows raised in amusement because of my annoyance. We both stare at each other, my arms crossed waiting for him to break the silence. After a few seconds of nothing, I huffed,

"What makes you think I'm going to stop running out there?" I plainly asked. "I have a gun and that's the most precaution I can take when I'm out there." I redo my limp ponytail as he begins to explain his reasoning.

"Why would you put yourself more at risk like that? There's not just walkers, but people too." The gate was closed now and Rick had grown concerned by now. He kept his eyes on me trying to evoke an answer to his question.

"I know that, Rick. I'm just saying that if something were to happen out there, I'd at least die on my own terms." I calmly and tiredly explain. He continues to closely listen. "I've become comfortable with the idea of going, and it makes you appreciate life a little more. Despite all of our... circumstances." I glance up at him with a small smile. He holds his attention onto me as I continue:

"I appreciate you looking out for everyone, but I've come to the point where we still have to enjoy living: To not just live." He finally glances away with his hands on his hips, resting on his belt. He thinks for a moment and then returns attention on me.

"I wish I could think like that." He pauses and sighs. I've relaxed at this point and put down my defenses, continuing to listen to him. "I know why I continue to fight, it's for all of my group—my family to keep living." His stoicism makes me softly smile in admiration. He pauses again to stop himself from ruining the sincerity from a dad lecture.

"I couldn't imagine being so selfless." I bluntly respond. He quietly chuckles to himself and nods, agreeing. I keep a warm smile and continue to watch him as he says,

"You could try by running inside the perimeter. Some people worry, you know?" Rick ends the conversation by walking away with a tender smile. I remained focused on him until he broke the gaze, still walking away. I couldn't help but smile to myself because of our cordial interaction. His ending retort stuck in my head like a dart; I couldn't shake the giddy feeling.