"Wow, you look great!" Lydia beamed when she saw Aerith.

"Thanks!" Aerith smiled. Then she glanced pointedly at me. "Well, Cloud? Wanna give it a try?"

I scratched my head. "Um, you look great."

She smirked. "Well, it's a start, anyway. Thanks, Cloud."

"You ready?" Gant asked.

"I suppose," I said. "Let's get this over with."

He handed me the dress and wig, and I headed toward the dressing room to get changed. On the way, I glanced over my shoulder at Aerith as she trailed behind me. She stopped when she saw me looking at her, and I was pretty sure she knew why.

"Don't go poking your head in this time," I told her.

"Wouldn't dream of it!" Aerith promised.

I left her standing there with her hands behind her back, whistling innocently as I hurried into the dressing room and closed the curtains behind me. Taking off my merc's gear, I slipped on the dress, arranging it as well as I could. I realized then that Gant had padded it in the front of the chest to give me some curves and make it look more convincing. I couldn't believe I was really doing this.

After setting the wig on my head and making sure the braids hung down the front of my shoulders, I took out the diamond tiara I'd gotten from the materia vendor and put it on top. Then I sprayed myself with a bit of that perfume Sandra had given me at the bar. When I was done, I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed.

Aerith gasped and clapped her hands together in excitement when I stepped out of the dressing room. "Oh, look at you, Cloud! We're sure to get into the Don's mansion now!"

"We'd better," I grimaced. "And Aerith?"

"Hmm?" she asked.

I gazed firmly at her, folding my arms in front of me. "Once this is over... don't say a word. To anyone. Understand? Especially Jessie. You know how she is. I'd never hear the end of it."

She giggled. "But you're so pretty!"

"Aerith!" I looked away.

"Oh, you..." she laughed. "Hmm... you might wanna wear makeup to really sell the look. But Andrea's people can probably help with that. And try to walk more nicely. Like this."

I blinked. "Nicely?"

She moved gracefully down the aisle, her steps smooth and clearly feminine. I watched her closely, trying to see how she did it, but when I tried, it just felt awkward. Fortunately, Aerith was a patient teacher, and she spent a few minutes showing me what I needed to do, going side by side with me as I worked it out. By the time we were done and I moved up front to the counter, I was walking a bit more like her, enough that I figured I could fool anyone who looked at me.

Lydia gaped at me. "That's... really something!"

I nodded. "Uh, thanks."

"Not bad," Gant said. "Might be a new business for me. Looks good on you, Cloud. Really good, in fact."

"Yeah, I think you're right, Dad," Lydia agreed. Then she smiled at Aerith and I. "Thanks for your help, guys. You gave us a new direction, and Dad's motivated again. So the dress is on us."

Aerith hugged her. "Oh, you're welcome. You helped us, too."

"Good luck," Lydia said. "I hope you find your friend."

"We will," Aerith assured her.

Lydia slipped back behind the counter. "You two are gonna be just like Firebrand! I really admire her, you know. Some people say it's only a story, something made up because everyone's tired of Corneo and his thugs running things into the ground here, but I think she's real. I wish I could be brave like her, but I'm just a sales clerk. Not much chance for heroics in an everyday place like this."