f o r t y - f i v e

Arabella, Mercedes, Rachel, Santana, and Kurt were performing a number to commemorate Whitney Houston's death. They'd went throughout the school and to the auditorium, singing their hearts out for the woman. Marina had been invited, too, but declined as she had less of a connection to the woman. 

When they regrouped in the choir room, Rachel and Mercedes were having a debate. "It was written for Diana Ross." Mercedes stated.

Rachel shook her head, disagreeing. "No, Mercedes, you are wrong, okay? The Bodyguard was originally written for Barbra Streisand." Kurt rolled his eyes at the mention of Barbra.

"Actually, Rachel, it was supposed to be Diana Ross-- and Steve McQueen, back in the '70s." Mr. Schue said to the girl, both siding with Mercedes and stating fact.

"Thank you, Mr. Shue." Mercedes grinned, pointing to the man.

"I've been doing some research to prepare for this week's lesson." Mr. Schue explained as he wrote Whitney's name on the board.

"Oh, my God, yes." Arabella grinned.

"It's about time we did a Whitney tribute!" Rachel clapped her hands in excitement.

"Are we sure that's appropriate?" Sam asked, unsure.

"You did not just ask that." Mercedes turned in her chair, giving the boy an incredulous look.

"I just mean, didn't Whitney kind of have a lot of problems?" Sam questioned, defending himself.

"She had a hard life, Sam. And?" Mercedes rolled her eyes as Mr. Schue spoke once more.

"Look, this week isn't about passing judgment on Whitney. It's about celebrating her legacy, honouring her memory, her accomplishments." Mr. Schue began.

Kurt temporarily cut him off, saying, "Which I will happily list for you." Blaine got the boy to hush as Mr. Schue spoke once more.

"But I also want you guys to use her songs to get underneath your own feelings. To express and explore what's really going on with you." As the man spoke, Finn gave him a confused look.

"I don't get it, Mr. Shue. What's really going on with us?" He asked, almost looking like a deer in headlights.

"Well, for most of you, these next few weeks will be your last here at McKinley. Lots of changes coming up, lots of saying good-bye. To your friends, to your significant others, to the last four years of your life. For a young person, all that transition can be overwhelming. So, it's easier to focus on other things. Like not being able to say good-bye to Whitney Houston." Mr. Schue said solemnly, sitting on a stool as he looked at the group.

"What are you talking about?" Santana responded, an edge to her tone.

"Santana, it's okay. I get it. You're hanging on to Whitney because it's difficult to handle the upheaval in your own lives." Mr. Schuester said sympathetically.

"We're hanging on to Whitney because she was incredible and we love her, so don't put your baggage on us." Santana responded, scowling.

Rachel nodded. "You guys, Mr. Shue's attempt to understand us, though misguided, doesn't matter. What matters is that I start rehearsing Whitney's version of 'The Star-Spangled Banner' immediately. It is the Mount Everest of anthems."

The bell rang, Marina and Arabella going to the Lima Bean to get something to drink. "So, Marina." Arabella grinned. "Nationals."

The brunette nodded. "We have the outfits designed, we're sorting the fabrics and sizing now. Mr. Motta gave us the money and said he'll pay us again." Arabella smiled before nodding.

"Good. Prom?" Marina rolled her eyes.

"We're getting there. The dresses are nearly finished, all the correct sizes and the girls love them." They both nodded, sharing a high five as they sat down, drinks in hand. Arabella chuckled as Marina pulled out her flask, pouring it into the drink before taking a sip.

Marina gasped. "Since Blaine's a junior, he has to take him, but I talked to Brittany and Santana and they're willing to let us in. Our dresses, Bella, we haven't done them."

Arabella smirked. "We may have not, but I trusted the boys to go and buy them instead." Marina took another sip of her coffee, raising an eyebrow.

"They'll either be really good or really bad." She noted, Arabella nodding in agreement.

The girls were back in the choir room, sitting as Brittany began to sing and dance.

Brittany sang and dance by herself up until the chorus, where she pulled Mike to his feet, the pair dancing. She then pulled Blaine up, dancing with him before getting Joe to dance with her. Next, Brittany got Marina to dance with her before the blonde tried to get Quinn to dance with her chair, but the girl refused, a frown on her face.

The group then moved to the auditorium as they watched Santana, Brittany, and the Cheerios danced and sang- Brittany and Santana doing it in heels. That only made it even more impressive. When they finished, everyone clapped and cheered. "Obviously, I like dancing with Santana best, but you guys are all still cool dancers." Brittany said to the group, smiling. She then looked to Quinn. "And Quinn, you're still dancing in my dreams. And you can fly and breathe fire." Quinn awkwardly smiled, looking saddened by her words.

When they were next in the choir room, Mr. Schue was speaking to the group about Whitney once more. "Hey, some great Whitney songs so far this week, guys. I'm really proud of the way you guys have been conjuring up the emotions you feel towards her as we begin to move on and say good-bye."

Once he had finished speaking, Joe raised a hand. "Mr. Shue, I've been going with Quinn to her rehab this week. We started working on a Whitney song together that we'd like to share. Not sure how it's gonna help anyone say good-bye, but it's a song we both really dig." He said as he stood, going to get a guitar as he sang.

Everyone saw the chemistry.