CHAPTER •°• one

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I don't expect you to understand, young man." He took a deep breath, but he still couldn't stop himself and the last sentence said laughing. "Only a true Islingtoner can understand." He commented and Remus shook his head.

He sometimes hated Black for how easily he could manage to make him laugh. Like this joke - it was really hardly even a joke, it was just dumb. But yet, even though James and Peter were just looking at Sirius a bit amused, but mostly confused, Remus felt an ominous urge to start laughing really loud.

Sometimes he actually understood what all those girls saw in Padfoot. Not that he saw it himself, but he understood it. Kinda. Well...

But before he got to get deeper into that, James finally managed to cut into that conversation.

"So." He said, a bit too loudly, on which Remus kinda sobered up and realised that he stopped working when Sirius started his monologue, so he quickly came back to what he was doing before. "As I just said I have a reason to believe that me and Lily are indeed soulmates." He explained. "But I have to make her believe that as well."

Remus sighed on that. He actually wasn't sure whether it was true. He never saw James's soulmate mark - not that he wanted to, it would probably be very awkward as soulmates mark weren't something that you just showed to anyone.

He himself never told anyone what was on his soulmate mark and ever since he got it on his sixteenth birthday he started to actually wear more long sleeved shirts and if not those than a watch or something like that to cover it up.

It appeared on a different body part to everyone. He got his on a wrist - and he was lucky that it was short, cause otherwise he would have a big problem - but he was pretty sure that, for example James, got his on his ankle as he sometimes would pull up his right pant leg and look at it, when he was in their dormitory.

Lily however, Remus was almost sure of that, got hers on her neck cause she started to wear almost only turtlenecks ever since her sixteen birthday - and, even when she didn't wear turtlenecks, she always found another way to cover her neck.

Anyway, everyone had their marks somewhere else and almost everyone did their best to cover them - cause like, who would want any random person to know what will be the first romantic thing you'll hear from your soulmate? Surely not Remus, and apparently no one else he knew. Most people didn't share at all what their soulmates mark read, at least not before actually finding their soulmate.

"Okay, but what if you're not?" Asked Remus, playing the 'objective, boring guy' once again. "Like, is your soulmate mark something like 'I Lily Evans, love you deeply'?" He asked and James scratched his neck, visibly uncomfortable.

"No." He answered slowly. "But it's pretty apparent on ahm... the situation. And the situation is clearly just like mine with Evans." He said and Remus honestly didn't feel convinced at all.

He just frowned slightly, but finally didn't say anything, letting Sirius take the lead in the conversation.

"Let's say that I believe you." He stated and James frowned at that.

"Bro, don't you trust me?" He huffed. "Am I supposed to believe that I really am only an acquaintance for you?" He asked and Sirius shrugged, though he glanced at Remus with a mischievous grin.

"Well, you are..." Sirius pretended to be wondering. "A close acquaintance." He declared and nodded to himself, his expression almost serious. "You upgraded last week when you gave me your potions homework." He decided and James opened his mouth.

"Sirius?" He said, his voice fake-sad. "Ehem, well anyway." He came back to the topic pretty fast, evidently not wanting to waste anymore time.

Remus felt a hint of disappointment, cause he already got ready for another one of Sirius's shows of weird - but actually kind of funny - sense of humor. He just came back to work on the project though and started to listen to James.