Chapter 2: A wet awakening

The doorknob seemed to be turning in slow motion; but Sarah knew there was nothing for it but to let her mum come in. A shout of "stay out!", would only make her mum, who was very loving, but a little overbearing truth be told, more determined to enter. Sarah would just have to stay under her sodden sheets until her mother was satisfied with her awake-ness. What happened after that, would be a problem for after that.

In she came, already dressed and ready for the day, with a steaming cup of tea and a loving smile.

"You awake then love?", she asked as Sarah pushed herself up to a seating position, hoping that she wouldn't expose any wet areas to her Mum. As she moved, there was a telltale crinkle from her waterproof undersheet which her Mum had, gladly now, never allowed her to get rid of. The noise usually embarrassed her greatly, but today she was thankful for it as it would make clean up much less stressful.

"Earth to Sarah", blinked Clair, "Are you in there love??", tapping the side of her head and pulling a silly face

"I'm awake, I'm awake! Thanks for the cuppa, Mum", smiled Sarah, taking the red hot mug off her Mum and placing it on her bedside table to cool a little.

"I'm on a late today so I don't start till 12. How about we make a trip out for some breakfast... or brunch, perhaps, looking at the time", Clair asked with a smirk, overexaggeratedly looking at her watch.

"Sounds good, mum, just give me a few minutes to wake up and I'll be with you", answered Sarah.

"Alright love. Bringdown  any washing you need doing".

Sarah's blush, already she feared very noticeable, deepened further yet. Her sheets would need washing, and her favourite pyjamas. Her Mum would be nice about it, of course. She knew all about Sarah's previous struggles with night time incontinence. The 20 year old hadn't known how it felt to wake up dry until the morning of her 16th birthday, and her Mum had always been really nice about it; buying her drynites nappies, and cleaning the sheets when the flimsy garments occasionally leaked. She'd worked at an elderly care home, and always used to tell Sarah that she'd seen plenty of people much older than her who couldn't always make it through the night, so not to be embarrassed. She always just treated it like one of those things. None of that had ever made her bedwetting to such a late age any less mortifying of course, and Sarah still wasn't sure if she was going to reveal her latest nocturnal failure as she leapt out of the sodden bed on her Mum's departure.

(Un)fortunately for Sarah, that decision was taken out of her hands; as her Mum walked straight back in about to comment on something or other.

"Sarah, I meant to say I... oh!..."

Sarah, frozen in shock in her dripping wet pyjamas, felt her blush deepen further yet.

"Oh love, I'm sorry. I didn't realise this was happening again. You could've told me you know, it's ok", smiled Claire, immediately rushing over to Sarah to comfort her.

"It's not 'happening' mum! It's just 'happened'!", blushed Sarah. "This hasn't happened in years!"

"Well, we did have a couple of glasses of wine last night when we got in. It's been a long year - you were overtired, a little tipsy. Just a one off accident. Let's strip this wet bed, go and get some coffee, and pretend this never happened", nodded Claire.

Sarah was still super embarrassed, but glad her Mum was being so matter of fact about it. Still, she thought, what a rubbish way to start the summer.

As Sarah stripped off her wet pyjama shorts and top in the bathroom, she began to think about her summer ahead, and that made her feel a little better. She had a lot planned. A few weeks of relaxing mixed in with shifts at Mum's old people's home to help out, seeing old school friends, and then the big one: she was flying to the USA for 2 full months of work as the assistant camp nurse at Camp Timber Lake. What an adventure that would be. Yes, she decided as she stepped into the steaming hot shower; this summer was going to rule - and she wasn't going to let a minor, one-off reminder of her previous struggles with night time potty training change that...