January 1st, 1992 and January 2nd, 1992

It's the new year, so I decide to write to Moony and Padfoot.

Hi Moony! Hi Padfoot!

Last year was great! I celebrated Christmas with - I hesitate. Should I lie and say Ron or tell the truth and say Draco? - the Weasleys. I loved your Christmas present! I hope you had a great Christmas and a great new year!
Love,
Harry

I sigh. I don't like lying to Moony and Paddy. I roll it up and send it on with Merlin. I sigh. It's the new year and I still can't stop thinking about the mirror. Draco won't tell me what he saw, despite my endless nagging. I walk up to him. He stayed for Christmas too.

"Draco!" I say "Good mor-" But he puts a finger over my lips.

"If you mention that damned mirror one more time, Potter, I swear!" He removes his finger.

"I wasn't-Draco, don't jump to conclusions!" I say

He isn't amused. "It's all you've been talking about for the past month."

I grimace. "Really? Has it been that long?" I link my arm with Draco's. "Well, you do know what I saw..." I trail off.

"Drop it, Harry." Draco says, sighing.

I nod. "Right. Of course." I sigh and turn to him. "But it seemed to upset you and-"

"Harry!" Draco shouts.

I giggle. "Sorry." I say. "Geez."

Draco grins and grabs my hand. "Come on." He pulls me along down the corridor. He opens a door. It's the room with the mirror.

"Draco..." I say gently. "Dumbledore warned us."

Draco turns to me. "He said not to view when we could be doing. He doesn't realize that neither of us will ever get that chance, especially you."

"What is it?" I ask. "If you tell me, maybe I can make it happen!"

Draco sighs and looks at me sadly. "I don't think you'd want that, Harry."

"But of course I want to help you!" I say. "Why wouldn't I?"

Draco shakes his head. "Just, look at the mirror."

We sit on the floor, shoulder to shoulder. I stare at my parents. My father had hair exactly like mine. And my mother, she looks nothing like me, but the eyes. Now I see what Moony and Padfoot are always going on about. Draco rests his head on my shoulder. I smile, though tears well in my eyes.

I wish that I could have what's in the mirror. I sigh as tears start to slowly trickle down my face. Draco sits up and sees me.

"Harry, are you-?"

I shake my head. "I'm okay, Draco." I say quietly. "I'm wonderful."

The next day, I manage to convince Draco against the mirror, even though I really want to see my family. I wander the halls alone, later. I come to the room with the mirror. I peek inside, but the mirror is gone. I sigh. Well, that's one temptation gone. I sit on the bench. I start shaking. I'll never see my mom and dad again, I realize sharply. Tears start pouring out my eyes. My family, I'll never see them again. I let out a strangled sob. I bury my face in my hands. Then, I hear rapid footsteps and feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Harry..." Draco whispers.

My shoulders shake. "Draco." I cough. "I'm fine."

"Yeah, you look real fine." Draco says. He puts his arm around me. "It's okay. What's wrong, anyway?"

I choke. "My...parents." I sob. "The mirror...it's gone."

Draco understands immediately. I feel him tense. "Oh, Harry." He hugs me. I hug him back. "It'll be okay. You have another family."

I sniff. "But...they aren't my...my parents."

"Moony and Padfoot might as well be." He whispers in my ear. "And you have me too."

I sob. "But, Draco...I saw them. They were right there."

"Only they weren't." He says gently. "You only saw them, they weren't really there, Harry."

I cry harder at this. Draco sighs. "Harry..."

"At least you didn't see something that's impossible." I whisper.

"You don't know that." Draco says quietly. "You don't know I didn't. Maybe I saw my dead parents too."

"Your parents aren't dead." I say. "So, unless you saw someone who's dead, yours is still technically possible."

I feel a tear fall onto my shoulder. "I wouldn't be so sure of that." He mutters.

I sniff. "If you say so." I say quietly. I pull away. "Thank you." I say, wiping my eyes.

Draco smiles softly. "You're welcome." He grabs my hand tightly. "Come on, let's go."