"Oh, that makes more sense."

Ayane laughed a little, shaking her head.

"Hey, if you're still down to get your ass kicked, I might be able to come by the dojo Friday."

Miguel leaned against the lockers, running his tongue over his teeth.

"Works for me. Sensei Lawrence asked about you."

Ayane barely raised an eyebrow, pursing her lips. "Oh really? What'd he say?"

"He said that he'd kill to have you as a student. I kind of spread the word about the multiple, er- mishaps."

"Is that so? Well, I've only been doing karate lessons with Mr. LaRusso for one day, so I've got to stick it out a bit longer."

Ayane did not add the part about how her parents would never ever allow her to be affiliated with a man like 'Sensei Lawrence'. He was not their type. Type meaning rich.

"Shame. I'd love to see the look on your face as I knock you onto the ground," Miguel teased, pushing off the locker as the bell rang.

Ayane watched him walk away, getting that same feeling in her stomach.

She had a crush.

.    .    .    .

LUNCHTIME WAS VERY DIFFERENT TODAY.

Kyler and his friends remained at bay from Ayane's table, and she stayed away from them.

They had bad news written all over them, anyone could see that. But most importantly, Kyler seemed to have started up a thing with Sam.

Which was going to make Ayane's job of befriending the girl a hell of a lot harder.

"Are you sure you don't sit with us just to spy?" Demetri asked, earning an eye roll from Ayane.

"Spy on you for what? So I can go reporting how interesting the millionth installment of the X-Men comics is? Shut up."

Miguel and Eli laughed, exchanging looks with Demetri.

"Are you sure you were homeschooled? Because you're as mean as a public schooler."

Ayane set down her fork, staring dead into Demetri's eyes. He looked back, seeing cold, dark, emotionless voids.

"Homeschool has made me dead inside. Anymore questions?"

Demetri glanced down at his tray, muttering something.

Ayane tilted her head, setting her jaw. "What was that, Bilbo Baggins?"

It turned out that she had said that a little louder than intended, because some students from around them began snickering.

She felt a twinge of guilt, sitting back in her chair. Demetri did not reply.

Miguel was giving her a weird look, and she could practically feel him staring at her.