CHAPTER FIVE

This chapter is dedicated to e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e of YOU. THANK YOU.

“What say, you Freda?”

She startled at the abrupt sound

She had escaped from his constant request for the few weeks she was in Lagos, she thought he would have eased up by now but obviously, he has not taken the hint.

“Mr. Lawson, I am sorry, I have to take a rain check. I have a lot on my table right now and my boss, will not take it lightly if he comes out to see that I have not finished.”

“I have told you repeatedly to call me Richard. Moreover, your boss understands that you just got back, trust me, I can talk to him for you.”

“No sir. I don’t want you to do that.”

“I know these are just excuses, I hope one day you will find it in your heart to take pity on this lonely bachelor.”

Freda smiled and nodded.

“You still have my contact?”

“Yes sir.”

“Call me when you have time for me.”

He counted some cash from his wallet and dropped it on her table.

“Sir…”

“It's for lunch. No strings attached.” He said and left the office.

“Hey God!” Romola said as she came into the office she shared with Freda.

“What now?”

“I can’t believe you this girl.”

“What did I do?”

“Teach me your ways on ye queen,” Romola gesticulated, fanning Freda with both hands dramatically.

“You are just a shameless eavesdropper.”

“I couldn’t miss the gist. Imagine. Richard Lawson walks into this place as if he owns the whole world.

Fine boy no pimple hashtag TDH”

“You and your slangs,”

“Seriously, what do you do to these men? Just the other day, it was Charles. Someone I have been giving the green light for months and has been ignoring me.”

Freda just shook her head. “Charles likes you. I think he just doesn’t know how to handle you.”

“Me, you are even worse, and he worships the ground that you walk on.”

“Teach me your ways,” she sobbed playfully.

“You better get your work done and let’s go for lunch.”

“Gladly, I hope you know you are paying?”

“Small thing.”

“Somebody offers me free lunch, God forbid I decline.”

“You know he wants more than that”

“And so? When are you going to get over these your baggage and give another man a chance to love you.”

“I am not ready dear. You see all these men we have out there are just out for what they can get, I don’t have strength for the roller coaster. Richard Lawson that changes women like bedsheets.”

“Maybe he’ll change for you.”

“Iffa hear.”

“Ah! I don’t mind the roller coaster. Let Charles just offer, my dear I will start picking my bridal train.”

“You are not alright, ” Freda started laughing. “You see why I said the guy can not handle you?”

“Let him attempt first, we'll make a compromise,” She went to her table to settle down.

“Oreoluwa's dad must have dealt you a big blow for you to be this closed up about the male species.”

Freda shrugged. Maybe she was unconsciously prepared for the breakup. She had loved Toye truly. That she knew but it was so difficult to close her eyes to the girls that were constantly in his life even when he had clearly stated he did not want them there.

Although Bukola had been a thorn in her flesh, she did not want her to go through what her sister went through to keep the love of the man she had loved.

Bukola had always been an issue between herself and Toye when they were together. He had however insisted that she had come a long way with him and promised her that she had nothing to fear. If only she knew.

Sex between them had been explosive. She could not deny that they enjoyed each other. At the beginning of their relationship, she was wary of having sex with him considering his reputation and him being her first. Toye had been gentle with her and seemed to appreciate the fact that he was her first. Maybe all of it was an act she thought to herself.

“Babes! Babes!!”

“Yes,”  Freda answered suddenly

“Where were you now? I have been talking for ages.”

“Sorry, I was deep in thought.”

“The response to the mails we sent out for the Lagos branch just dropped. Some of them are interested and you may have to follow up when you go back. I am sending you a list of contacts right now.”

“That is still like two months, why don’t we follow up with calls and emails for now?”

“We will for a start but, we need physical contact to push them.”

 “But babes I'll miss you when I go to Lagos,” Freda complained. “I know what we can achieve together.”

“Yeah right, I guess the bosses think I will hold the forte here.

I will only miss that cute baby boy of ours.”

“You can come and visit you know?”

“Definitely, I need to meet your friend Temmy and maybe I will meet guys that will flock around me.”

“Charles won’t like that you know?”

“As if he cares, I don’t want to be anyone's second option”

“You are not.”

“You think if you give Charles a chance, he'll look my way?”

She didn’t know how else to convince Romola but she needed to give Charles space maybe that will open his eyes.

“Don’t worry we still have two months to rock this town together she consoled.”

“That’s true, let me make a list of all the guys that have been on your case, they must take us out by force. Lunch, dinner, club, or anything.”

“We don’t need them for anything.”

“Girl, you are the man-hater, I need them for constant oiling.”

“What!”

“It’s serious business if Charles does not look my way, I need to look for other options.”

“You are just rotten.”

“Not all of us wear iron pants like you,” she retorted.

SEE YOU NEXT TIME.

PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT AND ADD TO YOUR LISTS.