Chapter Sixty Five

Start from the beginning

"I love you." I say.

I can see his eyes begin to fill with tears as he swallows to try and hold them back. "I love you too, Gab." He says, his throat tensing up more with each word.

———————————————

My stomach is turning as I lean my arms on the railing while waiting very impatiently for Harry, all I need is to see him come up those old stairs that are such a burden.

Usually spending time up here helps me relax but right now I'm so anxious it's sort of having the opposite effect. The air is quite warm this evening, since it's nearly the end of the year again. It reminds me of fifth year when we were stupid enough to think that this year would be perfect. It was far from it.

I hear what sounds like some wind behind me, I whip myself around to see Dumbledore and Harry who have just apparited.

"Both of you...go ahead, go hide!" Dumbledore looks awful, like something or someone has sucked the life out of him. I don't have any time to ask questions before Harry grabs my wrist and drags me down to the space beneath the stairs.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Come here." He says, ignoring my question and turning me away so I can't even see what's happening anymore.

"Are you ok?" I realize I should've asked that first. He nods and puts his finger up to his lips to shush me. "Harry?" I whisper shout impatiently.

"I don't have time to explain." Right as he says that I see Draco along with Bellatrix Lestrange run up the stairs.

My heart sinks, anyone in their right mind is terrified of Bellatrix. She's a horrifying, unethical woman who has killed many, many people, and drove more to insanity. Harry pulls my head into his chest and purposefully covers my ears.

I can hear some muffled yelling for a few minutes then Harry lifts his head suddenly, I look and see Snape standing before us. Harry goes for his wand but Snape lowers his and give us a signal to stay quiet while he continues up the stairs.

I'm so confused, I always knew Snape was suspicious but what is he doing here and why didn't he just expose us?

"Don't be weak Draco, or daddy dearest will suffer a long sentence in Azkaban." Bellatrix threatens. She has such a high pitched, scary voice.

"Severus..."

"Avada Kadavra."

I don't understand.

In a second, any innocence left in me was just sucked out. I've never felt such an amount of emptiness and sorrow in my life.

After Harry came back from the maze he had tried to explain to me how it felt to witness a death. Now I know, you can't simply explain how it feels because it is so horribly saddening that nobody who has any decency could bring themself to explain how it really feels to somebody who they love.

At the moment I can't even fully comprehend that somebody really just died. Right in front of me.

Alive one moment and now, lifeless.

Harry pulls me back into him as if he could make it all better just by squeezing me as hard as he can.

Bellatrix begins shooting pure darkness out of her wand into the sky, startling me. After a short amount of time they run down the stairs, Draco looking like he's going to be sick, Snape looking almost the same and Bellatrix having a field day, mocking the death of one of the greatest wizards of all time. I hate her, I really do. She is the definition of evil.

———————————————————————

The students mope around the halls, the only person I've seen who has light left in them is Luna Lovegood. Oh how I wish I had her ability to see the good in everything.

The funeral was tough to see, Harry couldn't hold himself together but I, nor anyone else will hold it against him.

The only thing that has seemed to be resolved is that Harry and I are finally getting our night together. We decided to go to the pitch instead though.

———————————————

I show up a few minutes late but Harry doesn't seem to mind. I make my down to the grass where he is already laying. As I lay next to him he sighs.

"There's going to be a war, Gab." He begins. "We're sixteen and we're about to go to war."

"Stop." I say sternly.

He turns his head at me sharply.

"We can't spend tonight thinking about that." I say with a softer tone than before. He nods his head to agree.

"Will you marry me?" He asks.

"What?" I snap.

"Oh! No no I'm not proposing, I just meant one day. Do you think that's realistic?" He asks.

"Of course I do." I sit up "Here, this can be my promise ring." I say showing him the eh g he got me.

"What's that?" He asks.

"It's what people do when they're too young to get engaged. It means that we promise to each other that one day, you will propose." I explain.

"My parents got married really young you know."

"Hey, don't start getting any ideas there Potter."

———————————————————————