Chapter Fifty Two

Professor Slughorn shows a clear bias to Harry and has even invited him to some dinner party. Lucky for me he's allowed a plus one. Hermione was invited as well but didn't have anyone to bring. Ron wasn't invited but I think he'll be ok since he's got Lavender. I like Lavender, Hermione could say otherwise and Ginny says she's a crazy girlfriend but I think that's just because she's the one snogging her brother. Harry has been to focused on Draco and the Half Blood Prince to take much notice of her. I told Harry that I read the book and he said he didn't blame me.

Hermione and I are getting ready for Slughorn's dinner party. I have no clue what to wear and we are supposed to be there in thirty minutes. Hermione's wearing something more casual but Harry said he was wearing a dressy outfit so I don't know if I should match him or go with a safe option. Over the summer I got a pale pink sweater dress, I think that could pass as both casual or formal, paired with some knee high boots. I haven't got much time to decide so this will have to do. I decided to tie two small sections of hair back with a dainty white ribbon, I had Hermione make it into a pretty bow for me. I usually don't wear a lot of makeup. Most of the time I'll just do some mascara and tinted chapstick but since it's a dinner party I actually took the time to do foundation and all of that fancy stuff. I'm not that good at makeup so I had Hermione check each part. Once we were sure that everything was perfected finally left. I'm pretty sure we'll be around five minutes late or so but it's ok, we'll be fashionably late.

———————————————

Once we enter Harry looks delighted to see me. Probably because he was most likely stuck talking with Blaise. I actually don't mind Blaise, he's the only one out of his friends that respects people of all blood types and house. I think he just has very bad influences. I see there is a seat left next to Harry and the other is next to Cormac. Poor Hermione, she despises Cormac. As soon as I sit down Harry puts his hand in my lap to get my attention. He leans over and whispers in my ear.

"You look brilliant."

Cormac rolls his eyes. He looks like he's been impatiently waiting for Hermione and I. More specifically Hermione. He definitely fancies her, it's obvious from the way he looked at her during quidditch try outs.

Luckily this year Ron beat Cormac out for the keeper position so none of us have to deal with him anymore. I'm also happy for Ron, he honestly makes practice really fun. He always makes jokes while Harry's trying to give directions, sometimes he gets a little annoyed but almost of the time he ignores it. And it makes Ron happy to play quidditch, I think it makes him feel more like a part of his family. And of course Lavender can't get enough of it. I'm beginning to think that Ron's ego has grown a few sizes though. He's got a new girlfriend, he's on the quidditch team. He's getting so much attention that he's never gotten. I think it's funny, Hermione thinks it's rude but I think she's jealous.

I think Hermione's terribly envious of Lavender, it's not a good look on her. I don't blame her though. She's been one of Ron's best friends since the first day at Hogwarts, now all of a sudden some pretty blonde chick comes in and takes him away. Ron also clearly has had feelings for Hermione in the past and Hermione for Ron as well. It's only my opinion but I think Ron and Hermione belong together, I like Lavender, she's nice to everyone but she's very clingy. I don't see how Ron doesn't get sick of her. 

The party is quite interesting. We get to know Slughorn a little bit. Harry told us that Dumbledore wants him to get to know Slughorn. They need to use his memories for something. I have no clue how they would be able to see his memories but I have trust in them that they know what they are doing. We are asked about what our parents do for work. I tell everyone how my mother is an Arithmancer.

"Wow, that takes some extraordinary smarts, kudos to you and your family. What about your father?" He asks.

"Oh he's an Auror." I say quietly. I don't tell many people about it because then all they can do is ask questions about the missions he's gone on and other things. As I expected I am bombarded with questions.

I know Harry wants to be an Auror and so does Ron. But I don't like that my father is one, yeah it's fascinating and all but it's dangerous work.

Slughorn seems to take lots of interest in the fact that my father is an Auror as I suspected. Maybe it's not such a bad thing that I told him about it.

Hermione goes on to tell us about what her parents do for work, I have to kick Harry under the table a few time to keep him from laughing while she describes this job called a dentist. Both her mother and father do it. It sounds rather dangerous, she said her father had to get stitches because a boy once but him so hard. I think stitches are something that muggles use for cuts since they can't just heal it with a spell. The boy was probably hexed or something. Either that or something similar since I'm pretty sure that you can't hex people in the muggle world but you never know.

As we are all getting up and leaving Slughorn tells me that next time I'll have my own invitation. That's pretty shallow of him, I know that it's only because I told him about what my parents do for work.

"He only likes me because of my parents you know." I say to Harry as we walk back to the common room.

"Now why would you think that?" He asks sarcastically. He says he has to go talk with Dumbledore so he walks me back to the common room and says Goodnight to me then heads to Dumbledore's office. I just hope that he isn't being pushed to his limit with all of this, I get that he has to find out what's going on but he's still a boy. He deserves time to relax.

———————————————————————