Chapter 35 - Maybe one day I would see him fully, a full moon

Start from the beginning

Why? Why would she confess something like that only to then act like it never happened in the first place? Eleanor never admitted any feelings she experienced, let alone romantic ones. But I knew she had meant it. I knew it by the glossy eyes I had witnessed.

And I had spent hours thinking about it.

Maybe this was my chance to go back to the beginning of the year, when life was so much simpler. When I tormented her and she just took it, barely batting an eyelash. But I couldn't. She had way too much to use against me right now and I couldn't have that.

And when Daphne clung to my arm and Eleanor simply made her way through the parting sea of students, there was only one thing I felt and that was longing. Dear Merlin.

I couldn't go back to the way things were, because she changed everything. And I hadn't been able to stop thinking about her since that night in the hallway.

And I was so angry at myself.

I tried so hard to push it away, to pretend like it was all still a big joke, but it wasn't anymore. It was too late for that. I needed her and I hated that I did.

I hated that out of all people, I needed Eleanor Selwyn. And all of a sudden, she didn't seem to need me at all.

"Daphne, we need to talk."

"Sure, what's up?" she asked. I was suddenly very aware of her touch and I didn't want it.

"Not here", I said and pulled my arm from her grip. I walked to the Courtyard and she followed me. It had been one of her requests, to not run to Daphne every time something happened, to stop hurting them both. I was afraid that hurting Daphne was exactly what I was doing right now, though.

"Look, I'm just going to say it straight because I don't want to lie to you, okay?" I said softly as we had reached a corner where no one could eaves drop. 

"Okay", she said slowly, a worried look in her big dear-like eyes. I knew that she knew what was about to happen. I just needed to do it.

"I ... I think you're a really nice girl, you're really smart and kind and all that, but I just don't feel the same thing you feel", I said, struggling to maintain eye contact. I didn't have to for long, because her eyes darted to the floor.

"I suspected that", she said, a sad smile on her face. 

"You did?" I frowned. She seemed surprisingly okay. I had expected her to get really upset about it, seeing as she had been chasing after me for years.

"Yeah, you always seemed a little bored when we hung out", she shrugged.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that, didn't mean to", I rubbed my neck awkwardly. 

"It's fine, thank you for telling me", she said and then she left, just like that. It was that ... easy.

ELEANOR'S POV

"So, what are the plans for tonight?" Tracey sighed as she pushed away her empty plate.

"We're going to sit by the lake for a bit. The weather is nice out. You're welcome to join", Blaise said with a wink, pulling himself from his conversation with Malfoy.

"Oh I like that idea. Daphne?" Tracey grinned.

"Sure", she said. She had been a little distant all day. I had to talk to her about that.

"Lea?"

"Not interested, sorry", I sighed. "I've got some preparation for Divination to do and then patrol after curfew", I shrugged.