Chapter 11

It took Asami longer than expected to find Jinora in the marketplace. Long enough for the inferno of her anger to burn out, leaving only a low simmer. Searching amidst the dusty wooden stalls gave her ample time to calm down, but her thoughts were far from pleasant.

I didn't know I was capable of being this angry. My whole body is burning up, like it can't contain all the pain I'm feeling, but...

A chill ran down her spine despite the muggy, mid-afternoon heat. Her anger frightened her because it was familiar. She'd always had something of a temper—slow to forgive, with little tolerance for fools—and she knew exactly from whom she'd inherited this less-than-admirable trait.

Father. He let his anger poison him. Consume him.

For many years, Asami had looked down on her father, disowning him for allowing his prejudices to override his common sense. He had lost a mate, true, but she had lost a mother. If she could see that not all benders were to blame for Yasuko's death, why couldn't he?

How ridiculous, she'd thought then. How prejudiced and unenlightened. And those were her kinder thoughts on the subject. It had taken her years to put her shame and resentment aside, and consider things from Hiroshi's point of view: that of a grieving widower, whose wealth and power weren't enough revive the person he loved most.

Now, Asami understood her father all too well. She understood anger in ways she never had before. Her feelings weren't passion for a righteous cause, but true hatred. She wanted to break bones. Smell blood. Grind her pups' would-be kidnappers under her heel until they screamed their last. She had hated Kuvira and Zaheer for trying to kill Korra, of course, but Korra was the Avatar, fully grown and more than capable of defending herself and others.

Yasu's still so young, and Hiro can't even walk or talk. Why them? Why my babies? How could anyone hurt someone so innocent?

Then again, hadn't she been tempted to do the same? She would have beaten answers out of Ziwen all too happily mere minutes ago, and according to Korra, she was merely a civilian whose own pups were being held hostage. Causing any harm to the poor omega would have been wrong. That was the problem. Defense was one thing, violence another. It pained Asami to admit it, but Korra was right. She was losing herself, and she didn't know how to change course.

Asami sidestepped a loud family of locals and passed another stall, this one smelling of ripe fruit. A cluster of gnats lingered near, and she swatted them away as she proceeded down the main thoroughfare. That pause caused her to catch sight of a slender, dark-haired alpha in red and yellow, and she immediately recognized Jinora. She raised her hand, preparing to wave, but paused when she noticed Jinora holding a whispered discussion with a nervous-looking beta vendor across the way.

Jinora caught Asami's eye, adding a subtle nod that spoke volumes. Steer clear. Obviously, she was following up on some sort of lead, and didn't want her source spooked. Asami turned away, pretending to browse a display of ornamental fans. All the while, she kept close watch on Jinora, until the alpha finally departed the stand with a swish of her red cloak.

Asami took that as her cue to head back in the direction of their bed and breakfast. A minute later, as expected, Jinora appeared by her side, casually matching her pace.

"Sheesh. What happened to you?"

"What makes you think something happened?" Asami asked, with enough frost in her tone to make Jinora's eyebrows lift.

"Your face looks like a storm cloud, and your chi is pushing against mine like it has something to say."

Asami blinked. "Sorry." She breathed deeply and centered herself, attempting to find some small refuge of inner calm amidst the tempest of her emotions.