Chapter 8

Two days later, they prepared to leave Air Temple island at dawn, before the pups woke up for breakfast. Korra's heart ached as she stared down at Hiroshi, fast asleep in his crib, with Yasuko curled up on the bed a few yards away. She didn't want to leave. Her instincts as a parent screamed for her to stay.

But if I do, I can't stop the people who want to hurt us.

Asami came to stand beside her, taking one of her hands. "I know," she whispered in a soft, strained voice. There was no need to explain further. The weight of their decision, their duties, made it difficult for Korra to breathe.

After a long, painful moment, Korra dropped Asami's hand and bent to kiss Hiroshi's head. Tears welled in her eyes, but she kept the sniffling to a minimum so as not to disturb him. The pup slept on, oblivious to everything. "I love you," she whispered, before stroking his head and pulling away.

Next, she approached the bed. Yasuko was a sprawled lump under the sheets, shaggy black hair tangled around her head. Korra crouched and adjusted the covers even though they didn't need it, tucking her daughter in. "I love you," she repeated, kissing Yasuko's temple.

One of Yasuko's eyes cracked open, still bleary from sleep. Nevertheless, it reminded Korra of Asami. "Mommy? Mama?"

"Go back to sleep," Korra whispered. "Mommy and Mama are going on their trip. You get to stay here and play with Pema and Rohan. Okay?"

Luckily, Yasuko was too tired to put up a fuss. "'Kay." She closed her eyes, and within a few moments, had started a soft snore.

Korra straightened, stepping aside so Asami could have her turn. The omega didn't say anything, but the stricken expression on her face made it clear how she felt. After a long moment, during which she petted Yasuko's hair with a trembling hand, she too turned away.

The look in Asami's eyes struck Korra straight in the chest. It wasn't tender, nor was it sad. Instead, she was furious. Asami was still angry two days after the break-in, and while Korra couldn't blame her for those feelings—feelings she still struggled with herself—it sent a shiver down her spine.

She nodded toward the door, and they left the room together. Outside, they met Pema, still in a sleeping robe. She offered them a smile that didn't fully reach her eyes. "Do you two have everything you need?"

"We do," Korra said. "Thank you." She opened her arms, and Pema stepped in for a hug.

Asami took her turn next. "I know you'll take excellent care of them. And please know, if you ever need us to do the same for Rohan, or any of your children—"

Pema cut her off, hugging her as well. "I know, but you and Korra have already done so much for my family. You are family. It's the least I can do."

"There's no one I trust more."

They shared an intense look, as though having an entirely separate conversation with their eyes. For a moment, Korra felt as though she were eavesdropping. Asami and Pema had developed a unique relationship over the years—perhaps because they were two of the only non-bender omegas amidst a large and powerful group of alpha and beta benders who had, in many ways, shaped Republic City's future. But Korra didn't question it. She agreed with Asami. There was no one she trusted more to care for her children.

"They'll be safe with us," Pema said. "I promise."

Korra tried to make light of the situation. "With you and all the airbenders on the island to look out for them? I should hope so."

Pema chuckled. "Enemies do tend to underestimate non-benders and airbenders, don't they?"

"I definitely did at first," Korra admitted. "Anyway, we should get going. Sorry we couldn't stay longer."