[7]

We had the attention of the entire room on us by now

We had the attention of the entire room on us by now. Simone, Shawn, and Mida stood a few meters from us, watching the scene unfold. Simone and Mida were hugging each other like long-lost friends and watching with eagerness what would happen next.

Everyone was.

Mr. and Mrs. Wellington had their jaws on the floor. And as much as I wanted to laugh-hardy freaking har-in their faces, I was confused.

"Parker," I breathed his name out, feeling my heartbeat increase to the point that I feared it'd pop out of my chest. He only smiled in reply.

"His name is Garth!" His mother snapped, losing her previous composure.

The Wellington parents didn't hate me. They just derived joy from seeing me frowning. And what better way to dampen my mood than remind me of the one thing I wanted to forget?

"Camsy." The familiarity I felt when he said my name was almost overwhelming. It sounded just like he'd said it that night. I was fighting butterflies-no, elephants in my stomach, threatening to break free and stomp me to my death if I didn't do something, and fast.

"Parker," I shook my head, biting my lip. "You don't have to-"

He nodded and took my hand, making me hold my breath. "I want to. It would be an honor to be your other half at this wedding."

I tried to fight it, but a blush spread up my neck and cheeks while I stood there, frozen. I knew that he was doing this out of his gentlemanliness and kindness of heart, but for some reason, it felt real.

"I don't-"

"Just say yes already and put the poor man out of his misery!" Simone yelled from where she stood. I didn't need to look at her to know she was giving me one of her death glares.

"Say yes. Say yes!" Mida began chanting. At first, it was just her, then her husband-to-be, and then my best friend. Before I knew it, the entire room was chanting for me to accept Parker's proposal.

At one point, even Mr. Wellington joined the chant, but one smack on the back from his wife had him zipping his lips.

I struggled not to laugh.

Fate was such a stupid thing. So, I wasn't destined to find love, but she was going to play games with me for the rest of my life.

"Yes. I'll be your date to the wedding party," I replied to Parker, staring into his green eyes.

Date. The word felt weird on my tongue. I hadn't used it in ages.

Parker was grinning a second later, and I couldn't describe what it was doing to me. He swept me off my feet and twirled me in the air like this was a scene from a Disney movie. I'd partly expected him to lean in and kiss me when he set me back on the floor. But standing there, just the two of us amongst an applauding crowd and parents who didn't consent to this union, we didn't share any kisses. Although, I would certainly not have minded. From experience, Parker was a great kisser.