7 - of tiniest smiles and screaming parents

Mulai dari awal

With a profound sigh, he slipped inside, but the barking noises of his beloved boy promptly eased every inch of his muscles and smothered the flickering fire inside of him. He tore into a huge grin as the ball of fluff practically catapulted itself towards him, its tail madly beating side to side. Oh Rocky, what did I do to deserve your love?

"Hi Rocky, guess who's back!" Abel's pitch went a notch as he wrapped the jumping dog within his embrace, sinking his face between its furs. Rocky yapped, clearly replying to his statement while its owner caressed its downy body everywhere. "Oh yes, it's me!" He chuckled. "Yes, I missed you too, baby! I know you've been a good boy! I love you!"

The border collie lapped him, pawing everywhere it could touch. God, how I keep on wishing I could hold him like this forever. Rocky and I would have made an awesome combo. Such a sweet child.

After spending time with his precious brother — and the only brother Abel would ever recognize — he swallowed his breath and slithered to the living room. His parents were last seen chilling on the couch, but now they had completely disappeared into thin air. Huh, guess they're preoccupied with their so-called jobs.

Well, that explained the tranquility settling in the house. Also, their lack of presence sent huge waves of relief through his veins. Good. I don't wanna see their faces. That asshole better tag along with them too.

A plate of stir-fried noodles sat on the dining table, wrapped with plastic as a Post-It note was stuck to the side.

I microwaved it so it should be warm by the time you get home. Remember to pray.

Love, Mom

Abel sneered and plopped to his chair, shoving the small paper into his suit. Yanking the plastic away, he squeezed his eyes shut and muttered incorrigible words before he devoured the noodles. For the time being, Rocky wandered around the table and ended up sitting down next to its owner.

In all honesty, his family might be obnoxious to the bone, but Mom... She was the most tolerable. Yes, she could be equally overbearing, but only regarding ancient etiquettes and reminders. She rarely took part in the research of comparing him and that Jethro jerk... even though she never once defended him. I guess she's okay. I can handle those. Moms are always like that.

Moms, huh... Munching on his soggy — at least it was edible — noodles, Abel tapped his finger. Speaking of which, that poker chip Mairi has is from her mother. Wonder why she would give her a casino token...

"It was like some sort of a gift."

Mairi's explanation never... satisfied his curiosity in the slightest. If he didn't control himself and shut himself up, he would have straight up interrogated her to no end. Well, it wasn't even his business to begin with; being a nosy person was never present in his dictionary. It didn't concern him.

But, I just can't shake that feeling off... I don't even know why I'm that... concerned about her in the first place. Abel was about to have a huge bite, but he precipitously froze in his tracks at the passing thought. He lowered his fork down, gazing at the noodles.

Ah, damn this. He snorted before he shoved some of the food into his mouth. I might need to watch some anime tonight...

***

Just like always, the cosplay convention was such a huge breath of fresh air. For Mairi Cabanila, it was a definite getaway from the strangling atmosphere that had been occupying her home. She didn't have to see Mama wandering around aimlessly and Papa wasting his soul away with his work.