Chapter 1: 3 Days to the Wedding: Reunion

Start from the beginning

"I have important things to discuss, we can talk later." He said, pushing a young figure out of the room and shutting the door.

Yamato followed the scene from the corner of his eyes. He had been so focused on his senpai, on himself, that the he hadn't noticed. It was embarrassing, he was a ninja after all, a good one at that and still he missed the presence of another human being in the room.

"I'm sorry, did I interrupt something?" He said, watching as Kakashi shook his head and returned, pushing some papers to the side so he could sit on the desk.

"I wasn't expecting you so soon," the Hokage said, crossing his arms over his chest, "the wedding is in 3 days."

"Yeah, well..." Yamato said shortly and took a few steps forward, bridging the distance between them. Months had passed, and the first thing the other pointed out to him was is that he was too soon? "Orochimaru is in Konoha, so..."

"I've heard."

"So you know he is here for the wedding."

"I don't believe he was invited.'

Neither was I, Yamato thought, clenching his teeth. They were talking about work, that was the reason why he was there, and yet, it annoyed him that his senpai was so unfazed by the sight of him after all this time.

"Are you tracking him? Where is he now?"

"Hm..." Yamato paused for a couple of seconds then shook his head, "He rented a boat... and is going down the river, making my clone run along the shore. This guy...," he sighed loudly. "I know he keeps doing stupid things just to irritate me, and probably to see how long my wood clone lasts. Everything is an experiment with him. He never leaves that lab of his, but when he does it's always to get on my nerves."

Kakashi's lips curved under the mask. It was subtle, but Yamato got used to seeing it.

"It's not funny, senpai," he said, but then Kakashi smiled widened, that was enough to disarm him, and he returned one of his own. "Wood clones of this level are difficult, did you know?"

Kakashi simply nodded.

"I need to keep constant focus or it will also get distracted. So refrain from bullying me, if you are even capable of such a thing."

He nodded once again, failing to keep a straight face.

"If it's that complicated," Kakashi said and scooted, leaving room on the desk for the other to sit, "you could have sent a clone here instead and followed Orochimaru yourself."

"Yes, but..."

I wanted to see you with my own eyes. Yamato's heart was still beating fast, though, he couldn't bring himself to speak his mind, as Kakashi made no attempt to see him, no excuses however minimal to call him back to the village. He didn't even expect Yamato to be there before the wedding.

"Anyway...," he said instead as he took the spot next to the his senpai, that was not the place nor the time to get into that. In all the scenarios he thought up, he always said something, sometimes hurtful words, others he just kissed him. Yet, now that they were less than an arm stretch from one another, he couldn't do a thing. "I can't linger, I want to have a proper shower and rest a little before the clone gets dispelled."

"And then?"

"Then I'll likely watch him from a distant as he sleeps and I don't,' sometimes he really hated this mission.

"That is all well, but regardless, I do expect you to be at the wedding." Kakashi briefly gazed at him. "You were Naruto's captain, he will miss you if you're not there. You know how he is."