chapter thirty-one

Start from the beginning

There were no more words spoken until Jeno and Donghyuck made their way inside. Jeno was his normal upbeat self while Donghyuck looked disheveled and had papers slipping between his fingers.

"Eunha!" Said girl looked back at him, confused all over again. What was with everyone needing to call out or talk to her today?

"Can you take my seat by Renjun, I need to talk with Hyeji about some school work stuff," Eunha complied although she knew she didn't have much of a choice.

It was awkward, to say the least.

After the three girls had arrived, they changed up their seating. It was one long table, much like a school bench many had.

With their backs towards the wall sat Renjun, Donghyuck, Jeno, and then Minju. Originally Jeno and Minju sat beside Jaemin but Jeno moved for Minsoo and Hyeji and Minju just followed him.

Facing the wall sat Eunha, Hyeji, Minsoo, and then Jaemin. Everyone in that order. Eunha faced Renjun, Hyeji faced Donghyuck, Minsoo faced Jeno, and Jaemin faced Minju.

But today was just gonna be different apparently. Eunha was now sitting between Renjun and Jeno. It was weird, to say the least.

"You needed something?"

Eunha nervously stood beside Renjun's chair in their classroom. The teacher has just left after finishing the lesson so now it was just the two of them.

Renjun only continued to finish the rest of his work while she stood there for a few moments longer. Finally, he got to the last problem. He scribbled down a few things before reaching into his binder and putting the papers away while also grabbing something.

He abruptly closed the white binder and stood up quickly, using his left hand to pull Eunha's towards him.

He slipped a piece of paper into her sleeve before letting go of her hand. She stood there stunned for a second. "Camera," was all he whispered before pushing his chair in and leaving, the clock finally striking dismissal time.

Eunha stood there for a second before regaining her compose and walking out, finding her way to the media room where Minsoo and Hyeji should have been.

She opened the door and saw the two girls talking. Instead of making immediate conversation like on usual days, she just walked towards the couch and began looking around the room.

"Eunha, you good?" She looked over towards Hyeji and smiled, saying she'd just run to the bathroom and be back.

Neither girl pestered her about it and she left. In the bathroom, she read the note Renjun had slipped into her sleeve.

When she got back, she walked over to the girls and pulled them towards her. They were confused at first until she subtly nodded towards a camera in the corner of the room. Skillfully, she slipped the note into Minsoo's sleeve. "Switch between each other reading this in the bathroom, beware of cameras."

"Why are you acting so weird?" Donghyuck laughed nervously, walking with Renjun to the shed out back to throw away all the trash

Renjun kept quiet until they finally got to the shed. Donghyuck opened the door for him. Usually, only one person would go in while the other held the door but this time Renjun stepped inside and pulled Donghyuck with him.

"Read this, quickly."

Donghyuck looked down at the paper in his hand and back up at Renjun. "In here? It's dark, though. Let's just go back inside-"

"There aren't cameras in here. The only place in the house with no cameras is the bathroom and I sure as hell am not going with you-"

Donghyuck stopped him, not wanting to hear anymore. He opened the note and began reading, barely being able to see in the darkened setting.

When he finished, he looked back up with a playful smile. "Really, Renjun? Do you seriously believe we're some kind of freak superhumans? That's literally insane."

Renjun sighed and smacked him against the side of his head. "Yes, I believe and you should as well. Now keep your fucking voice down. I've already talked with Jaemin and Eunha and they both agreed."

Donghyuck lifted an eyebrow and looked back down at the note, "so you guys all have these cool powers and can do all this stuff? And I'm a fucking bird?"

Renjun pinched the bridge of his nose in irritation. "It's not just any bird, you dumbass. This basically means you can literally shapeshift, idiot. It's a phoenix. A bird that no matter how many times dies, comes back to life from its ashes."

"Hmmm," Donghyuck hummed to himself. "I suppose that's a nice...abnormality."

→ ♕

donghyuck's power is a lot more than just shapeshifting but more will be revealed later on (as well as the others!)