I shake my head rapidly, and my mind crashes back to the here and now. I blink a few times and look at her. As I am about to respond, I hear my cell phone ring.

"So sorry, but we have to finish this conversation later," I tell her as I grab my cell phone, taking this as an excuse to get away. I look at the screen and I see the call is from Talia.

"Hey bestie!" she nearly sings to me.

"Hey girly!"

"I'm coming to pick you up! I'll be there in five!" she says before hanging up.

I pass the door to the window nearby. I quickly scan for her car but do not see it yet.

"You better not be going out with that girl!" mom nearly shouts.

"What do you have against her?" I question, knowing very well she won't give an honest answer.

I wait for a second to pass, giving her a chance to respond. Silence. I grab my purse and go wait outside. As you can see, normal isn't a word I would use to describe my family. But hey whose family is normal, anyway?

I search for her electric yellow Tesla once again, which she got as a soon-to-be high school graduation present.

I take a deep breath, attempting to slow my racing heart. I finally spot it and enter, slamming the door behind me.

"Girl, chill. What did my door ever do to you?" she asks, trying to lighten the mood.

"I don't know why I let my mom get under my skin!" I snap. I take another deep breath, getting a whiff of the new car smell.

"You want to talk about it?" she offers.

"I just want to pretend that didn't happen. Let's have fun today, and I swear tomorrow I'll catch you up on everything." I sigh.

"That's fine," she says, leaving it at that. I am glad she doesn't push me to talk. I've been an emotional mess lately.

"Well, our senior year is almost over. Freedom is almost ours!" She says, a grin appearing on her face.

"Yea, you're right," I tell her, glad for the much-needed distraction.

"Have you decided what you're doing after high school?" she questions.

"I don't know. I can attend a community college and figure the rest out later."

"I'm sure you'll figure out what you're meant to do!" She tells me, a genuine smile on her face.

"What would I do without you?" I beam.

"You'd be a miserable mess." She jokes.

"Now let's go shopping!" She says, her car roaring back to life as she drives away from my house.

"Well, we need to look at graduation outfits. I want to be remembered as the girl with a great fashion sense because we all know that's true. And let's not forget the graduation pictures that will forever be posted on Instagram." Talia seriously states.

"So true!" I tell her, trying to get my mind off of my issues.

We finally arrive at Old Orchard. It's one of those cute outdoor malls, which is perfect for warm days, like today.

"We should go to Garage first. They have really cute dresses," she tells me, as we pass the ornamental cherry blossom trees which bloom despite the season.

We walk to Garage and look around. They have a bunch of crop tops, jean skirts, and pants. We see some dresses, but they are more for every day.

"These dresses are cute, but not for graduation!" Talia shouts.