Poison and Beater Bats to the Back of the Head

Start from the beginning

She rummaged in her pocket for a moment, then pulled out a scroll of parchment with her grandfather's writing on it.

"Great," said Harry, unrolling it at once to discover his next lesson with Dumbledore was scheduled for the following night and that he wanted to speak to Estella the following morning. "Got loads to tell him-and you. Let's sit down-"

But at that moment, there was a loud squeal of "Won-Won-" and Lavender Brown came hurtling out of nowhere and flung herself into Ron's arms. Several onlookers sniggered; Hermione gave a tinkling laugh and said, "There's a table over here...Coming, Ginny?"

"No, thanks, I'm going to meet Luna," said Ginny, grinning from ear to ear. Leaving Ron and Lavender locked in a kind of vertical wrestling match, Estella led them both to a spare table.

"So, how was your Christmas?"

"Oh, fine," Hermione shrugged. "Nothing special. How was it at Won-Won's?"

The two girls giggled.

"Hey! I wouldn't have gone if my father didn't make me!" said Estella.

Yes, Estella loved Mrs. Weasley, and the Burrow was a second home, but Ron was annoying to be around when he was so wrapped up with Lavender.

Harry shook his head. "Look, Hermione, can't you-?"

"No, I can't," Hermione said flatly. "So don't even ask."

"I thought maybe, you know, over Christmas-"

"It was the Fat Lady who drank a vat of five-hundred-year-old wine, Harry, not me. So what was this important news you wanted to tell me?"

Hermione was too fierce to argue with, so Harry dropped the subject of Ron and recounted all that they had overheard between Malfoy and Snape. When he was finished, Hermione sat in thought for a moment and then said, "Don't you think-"

"-he was pretending to offer help so that he could trick Malfoy into telling him what he's doing?"

"Well, yes," said Hermione.

"Ron's dad, Estella's dad, and Lupin think so," said Harry grudgingly. "But this definitely proves MAlfoy's planning something, you can't deny that."

"No, I can't," she answered slowly.

"And he's acting on Voldemort's orders, just like I said!"

"Did either of you hear them mention Voldemort?"

Estella shook her head.

"How's master would Malfoy serve them," asked Harry.

"I don't know," said Hermione, biting her lip. "Maybe his father?"

She stared across the room, apparently lost in thought, not even noticing LAvender tickling Ron. "How's Lupin?"

"Not great," said Harry, and he told them all about Lupin's mission among the werewolves and the difficulties he was facing. "Have you heard of Fenrir Greyback?"

"Of course," said Hermione and Estella simultaneously.

"When, History of Magic? You know full well I never listened..."

"No," said Estella. "Draco threatened Borgin with him. Back in Knockturn Alley, don't you remember? He told Borgin that Greyback was an old family friend and that he'd be checking up on Borgin's progress."

Harry gaped at her. "I forgot! But this proves Malfoy's a Death Eater, how else could he be in contact with Greyback and telling him what to do?"

"It's pretty suspicious," breathed Hermione. "But it could also just be an empty threat..."

"You're unbelievable, you are," said Harry, shaking his head. "We'll see who's right...You'll be eating your words, just like the Ministry. Oh yeah, we had a row with Rufus Scrimgeour as well..."